Hayward or Intex sand filter to buy and use ti with Intex salt system. Anyone can help, please?

chandra5103

Mar 15, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
Last year I used 10" Intex sand filter and Intex salt system with 12'x30" Intex above the ground pool. I wish I had a more powerful filter ...
Anyway, this year I have upgraded to 18x52 Intex pool and need to decide whether to buy Intex 16" sand filter with a pump or my eye caught Hayward sand filters. Really need advice from you, please.

Hayward - Hayward W3S180T92S ProSeries 18-Inch 1 HP Sand Filter System
Intex - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 16-inch, 110-120V with GFCI

Thank you!
Chandra

Each of those choices have at least one related pro & con:
Hayward: Larger filter should mean less backwashes, however different manufactures means the Intex in & out hoses might need an adapter to fit the Hayward multiport valve
Intex: Multiport valve should accommodate the Intex hoses, but may require more frequent backwashes

The adapter(s) aren't a huge issue as many others have done it, but you should know ahead of time so you are prepared.

Thank you, guys! One question remains if to choose Hayward: will it be compatible with Intex salt system? I am not talking about adapters but generally. Is it a good match, Hayward filter + Intex salt generator?
And one more thing: wouldn't it sound crazy if I choose Hayward 21 for 18'x52" pool? ))) instead of 18?

Last edited:
The filter is the best part to mix and match. Unlike a VS pump or SWG, the filter is a plain device that just lets water through it.

The smart devices will probably act all superior and tease the filter when you aren’t around, but you’ll never know.

You don’t mention which intex swg u have- there’s a 7k gal & a 15k gal rated one. Your new pool comes in @ about 7600 gallons so if u have the 7k gal unit it would be under sized & u will likely need to supplement with bleach. Also You can buy adapters to hook your intex products to normal pool hoses so everything hooks right up.
72A3DF96-6D8B-4B28-B871-5F6D50C2E7CD.png

Reactions: Texas Splash
Appreciate for Amazon link for adapters, definitely will need them. swg I have is 7000, so you are absolutely right that I might have some bleach once in a while. Don't want to buy 15000 swg right now, will make this decision in 4-5 months perhaps if the one I have will need a constant bleach supplement.
Thank you for advice, I guess I am good now.
Also, it's worth mentioning that Hayward attracted my attention because of reviews/feedbacks in other threads that the quality is better than Intex. Is it a true statement?

Forgive me if I got my wires crossed... you are wanting to use the Intex SWG with a non-Intex pump and filter? They are all in one unit... I’m not sure the Intex SWG can be attached to a different pump and filter.

For the record, I have the 16” and backwash maybe once a year. I use a robot and skimmer socks (hairnet) so it cuts down on the gunk going into filter.

Yes, I want to use Intex SWG with a non-Intex pump and filter. With Intex brand, filter/pump and swg are different units., not the one. What I understand, I will need only to use 2 adapters - one for the incoming water stream from the pool and the second one - to attach outcoming water flow from the filter to SWG. Am I right in my calculations?

Reactions: charliej
Forgive me if I got my wires crossed... you are wanting to use the Intex SWG with a non-Intex pump and filter? They are all in one unit... I’m not sure the Intex SWG can be attached to a different pump and filter.

For the record, I have the 16” and backwash maybe once a year. I use a robot and skimmer socks (hairnet) so it cuts down on the gunk going into filter.
I believe the op has a stand alone swg not the combo

Reactions: charliej

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, I want to use Intex SWG with a non-Intex pump and filter. With Intex brand, filter/pump and swg are different units., not the one. What I understand, I will need only to use 2 adapters - one for the incoming water stream from the pool and the second one - to attach outcoming water flow from the filter to SWG. Am I right in my calculations?
You may only need one if u use the intex hose from the swg to the pool return since u do have an intex pool.They come in a 2 pack so you’ll have it if u need it. Not sure what u may need to use on the skimmer/ intake side if u wish to use standard pool hose to connect to your Hayward pump. There are several threads where people made adapters from pvc fittings to attach their intex hoses etc. Sometimes the skimmer/ intake is different than the rest of the intex stuff on certain pools. When u get it take a pic & we’ll help u figure it out

If $ isn’t a factor I would have to say Hayward as intex is almost a disposable product that’s not really serviceable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.