Hayward Omnilogic question

Jul 27, 2016
Texas
I have a hayward omnilogic system and I am trying to figure out exactly how it works. Is there any way to set it to turn the pump up to a certain RPM automatically when the heater is needed and then resume the program when the heater reaches its set temperature. I cant seem to figure out how to do this...seems like something it should be able to do.

No. Pool automation is really in the last century. Program schedules can only be based on time, not other sensors like water temperature.

Ok wow...that is very primitive. It won't even automatically turn the pump on if I turn the heater on, even though the pump is obviously required to use the heater. For the price they charge for these things...how hard would it be for them to allow for someone to run the pump on the lowest speed, while sensing water temp, then kick the pump speed up when there is a heat call.

Ok wow...that is very primitive. It won't even automatically turn the pump on if I turn the heater on, even though the pump is obviously required to use the heater. For the price they charge for these things...how hard would it be for them to allow for someone to run the pump on the lowest speed, while sensing water temp, then kick the pump speed up when there is a heat call.

The OmniLogic can be configured to run the VSP at a minimum speed when call for heat is present. We do this all day long -- you'll need to re-configure the Omni.

By turning the heater on, you're only enabling the heater to maintain temperature when the filter pump is running. If you want to be able to turn on the filter pump automatically to maintain a desired temperature by flipping the heater on, you'll need enable "Heater Extend" in the OmniLogic's configuration.

Reactions: ckendalls
The default RPM speed on our Hayward VS pump setting is 80% when the heater is on. It can be configured in the OmniLogic settings, but I think 80% was the default min safety setting for our 40,000 BTU Hayward gas heater.

The OmniLogic can be configured to run the VSP at a minimum speed when call for heat is present. We do this all day long -- you'll need to re-configure the Omni.

By turning the heater on, you're only enabling the heater to maintain temperature when the filter pump is running. If you want to be able to turn on the filter pump automatically to maintain a desired temperature by flipping the heater on, you'll need enable "Heater Extend" in the OmniLogic's configuration.

Ok thanks, I will change those settings. Looks like heater extend will allow the system to extend the pump run time to maintain temps. If I set the heater minimum operation speed to 75%, but the program for the pump is at 50% will the system automatically turn the pump up to 75% when heat is required and then back to 50% when the set temperature is reached?

Ok thanks, I will change those settings. Looks like heater extend will allow the system to extend the pump run time to maintain temps. If I set the heater minimum operation speed to 75%, but the program for the pump is at 50% will the system automatically turn the pump up to 75% when heat is required and then back to 50% when the set temperature is reached?
Yes - that's exactly what mine does.

As a side note, my heater has a safety setting where it wont fire up if the water flow is level is too low. Originally my omnilogic configuration was set for the minimum pump speed during heater function to be 60% but that was too low for the heater to fire up. So the omnilogic would think the heater was working but it wouldn't actually be on. I increased the min operation speed to 80% and it solved the problem.

Yes - that's exactly what mine does.

As a side note, my heater has a safety setting where it wont fire up if the water flow is level is too low. Originally my omnilogic configuration was set for the minimum pump speed during heater function to be 60% but that was too low for the heater to fire up. So the omnilogic would think the heater was working but it wouldn't actually be on. I increased the min operation speed to 80% and it solved the problem.
Yep. The heater wants 80% minimum speed setting to fire up and run when it turns off after reaching temp will go back to the set lower speed or off (after a bit more circulation time to cool the heater).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.