Hayward OmniLogic not controlling heater

Jan 1, 2017
Saugus/CA
My H400fdn Hayward Heater will not turn on with the Omnilogic remote reliably. If I take the heater out of bypass mode I can run it manually without issues. I am using the 2 wire remote from the OmniLogic control (lv2) to the heater wiring block. I checked the wires for continuity, reran the configuration, met minimum GPM, and power cycled each piece. I manually ran the heater today for a bit and turned it off, I called Hayward and as soon as I walked to the heater and put it in remote mode it worked. I felt like an idiot for wasting his time and hung up. I tested different modes and it all worked. I tried to run it again tonight and it would not work. The spinning circle next to the power toggle (indicates device is running) was Greyed out and the power toggle switch on the screen would keep turning off. I'm thinking there may be conflicting programming with my configuration. Is there a trick not in the manual? I'm going to try on Monday to call them again but I really want to figure it out myself.

Hmm interesting. Latest version of firmware?

When it happens next check the display on the heater and see if there is an error code (LO etc). They do have the heater interlocked to the flow switch, so whenever this is no flow (or the flow switch THINKS there is no flow, it will shut off).

Hayward indicated the P-KIT Flow switch needs 15GPM to activate but the heater itself needs more than that anyways.

Not enough info in your sig but I assume your running a Variable Speed pump? EcoStar? If so check the programming for what speed you have set in Omnilogic for when the heater comes on, mine is set to MED speed (which I have set for 1725 RPM and gives me 40GPM).

First step in any Omnilogic troubleshooting is give the entire unit a reboot (not the heater, the Omnilogic panel itself). That seems to be the first thing they suggest (like any other electronic gadget lol).

Have you also tried entering service mode and then playing from there on the main controller screen?

Another trick is to login to the web version (full website not an app) and check to make sure there isn't a phantom schedule in there that doesn't show up in the app.

Cheers
Tim

Thanks for the info Tim, I be all over it Sunday. I'm out of town now. When I take it out of remote mode it works manually. I have been using high rpm on the eco star to ensure there is enough flow. I tried that to rule out the heater's sensors. I have tried rebooting a few times and in different orders. I'll look through the website and clean up any schedules and try service mode and post results. I have a feeling it's a rookie configuration issue. My biggest clue is that it worked for a bit then stopped communicating

I was able to get it working. I restarted the configuration from scratch to get a fresh start. It worked as designed immediately. I'm guessing some phantom schedules were messing with it from the first week I set a ton of stuff up playing around.

Thanks for the help

I was able to get it working. I restarted the configuration from scratch to get a fresh start. It worked as designed immediately. I'm guessing some phantom schedules were messing with it from the first week I set a ton of stuff up playing around.

Thanks for the help

Glad you got it working but it's always worrisome when the fix is - I just reset everything and the phantom problem went away.

Here's hoping it doesn't come back again :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.