Hayward inverter heatpump 81504 RS485 control (same as 81514, 81524, 81534, 81544)

PoolHomeControl

Jun 29, 2023
Brussels, Belgium
Hi,
This maybe a jump in the deep end, but I am looking for help on reverse engineering the R485 protocol on the Hayward Inverter 81504 heatpump.
It is also sold under the brand Powerline by Hayward, and also different power versions (81514, 81524, 81534, 81544) sharing the same electroncis.
I managed to tap into the RS485 bus with my saleae logic analyzer and the RS485 bus is running on 9600,8N1 and I got an arduino mega256 w RS485 hooked up, reading the bus reliably.
Next up is reverse engineering the protocol so that the arduino can relay info/control the heatpump's on/off, temp setting and eco-mode over mqtt.
Did anyone venture reverse engineering this version of the Hayward RS485 bus?
I checked out the hayward/goldline AquaLogic/ProLogic protocols here GitHub - swilson/aqualogic: A python library to interface with a Hayward/Goldline AquaLogic/ProLogic pool controller. but that is completely different.
Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

Talk to the nodejs Pool controller folks on github.

Welcome to TFP.

Talk to the nodejs Pool controller folks on github.
Thanks for the tip @ajw22 , I researched it but am struggling to find out if it has the hayward heatpump support I need, I posted in their forum just now.
Hayward inverter heatpump 81504 njspc support? (same as 81514, 81524, 81534, 81544) · tagyoureit nodejs-poolController · Discussion #918
I have advanced in reverse engineering the heatpump's rs485 protocol, it is not the standard goldline/aqualogic protocol, it has no STX/ETX just fixed size packets between a master and 2 slaves, one slave being the display-controller.
I wasnt planning to go the njspc path, I was on a simpler path with arduino w RS485 but if a nsjpc-nixie setup supports the heatpump, I will go there.

My observation is that Hayward does not design and manufacture all their heat pumps with standard controls. They seem to white label some from other manufacturers and thus the controls and documentation vary widely between models.

I would try and determine who the actual manufacturer is of the model as that may give you more clues to the protocols used by the manufacturer.