Hayward hp50ha and pentair vs pump best flow rate?

Mar 31, 2017
Nc
Hello all,
Long story but my builder didn’t winterize my Hayward hp50ha heat pump
during a winter install and after a 3 month battle finally replaced it yesterday. We aren’t on the best of terms as he didn’t want to take responsibility for the damage so I didn’t exactly get a lesson on how to use it when he left.

I added the solar panels myself during that 3 month window as well as additional valves to be able to run them with the heater or independently or to bypass them both altogether for the peak of summer/winterization. For the solar panels the factory recommended a flow rate that was around 1550
on my vs pump by their math I forget the exact gpm they quoted. Would this speed be good for the heat pump as well or should I have to account for the flow of the panels and adjust?

The pool maintains 84-86 thus far depending on cloud cover (6-7 hours of daily sun on the pool) and my goal is to warm it up maybe 2-4 degrees for night swimming and slightly more comfortable day swimming.

Secondly anyone with this model or similar have any tips to offer on power consumption and best ways to utilize the unit.
Thanks!

Last edited:
nbfg,

I would try 1550 and see what you get... It should be obvious if the heat pump is getting enough water or not.. If not, crank up the speed.. And if you wanted, you could reduce the speed until the heater shows a low flow/pressure warning and then crank it up 100 or 150 RPM and use that as your heat pump speed..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Seems to be doing the job well. I was looking on hawards site for energy consumption and they don’t seem to have a calculator for heat pumps just a comparison to show why you want it over gas in some scenarios. Any idea of monthly power increase if let’s say I ran it 2-4 hours daily? .08 is the energy cost for my area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.