Hayward Heater Issues

May 31, 2017
Lee, NY
Not sure if this is the right section for this post but, it seemed better than the hot tub/spa forum. Maybe not.

So I have a SR200NA Hayward gas heater that's approximately 17 years old. With a 20'x40' 28,000 gal pool I'm not sure if this is even the proper size heater for the pool. Didn't know much when we had it put in. I also pull the board every winter as mice seem to like living in there over the winter.

I've been having numerous fault lights over the past few years that typically go away after recycles etc however this year, no joy. Getting all the lights to turn on when it's powered up but eventually it just shows the water temp and the "Spa On" green light. No other touch keys respond to their being pressed other than getting numbers on the readout that are in the 200's-300's. I haven't recorded them.

I realize this unit is old and perhaps I should taking a look at replacing it rather than keeping it alive. If I do decide to replace it, any thoughts on whether I should stay with gas (perhaps a higher BTU) or go with a heat pump. Not familiar with the heat pump and would rather ask you folks than the pool store.

Thanks in advance.

Stay with gas. You are already setup for it and have the gas line. HPs are more expensive than NG heaters. You will need to run a 40A-50A circuit for the HP if you don;t have it to your equipment pad. HPs heat water slowly and you need to run your pump just about 24/7 to maintain the heat.

Get a 400K BTU NG heater when you replace yours. It should heat your pool 1 to 2 degrees an hour.

Do you have a spa?

Nope, no spa. I was thinking that I should probably get a 40,000 BTU capable heater. Was kind of surprised that the one I have is only 20,000.

I also just confirmed the code it's throwing after I depress the temp up or dn key is r3. It displays that code for a few seconds then a number around 360 pops up and moves up and down from that point. Never seen it before.

Late entry update... Went with the 400K BTU and did the install myself. Easy-Peasy. The 400K cranks and is much quieter than my old 200K unit which used to whistle. Thanks to those who recommended the 400K unit.

The water coming out the return line is very warm when the heater is running. Very nice...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.