Hayward heater IF error

I have always planned to maintain my heater myself and replace parts as needed since most parts are way less than the cost of a new heater. But when you get to the point that tubes need replacement it's likely time for a new heater.. This is partly because the tube bundles are usually the single most expensive part and also because it is likely many other parts are nearing end of life. If the heater is reasonably new and the tubes are failing thay might be worth replacing if the reason was water balance that has been corrected.

My $.02.

Chris

Reactions: Pperc
New finding:
The pool pump didn't kick on this morning like it normally would. I think just a simple error of the system as it came on when I told it to. I didn't realize it until about noon so it had been off for quite a while. Overnight and through the morning the level in the spa became even with the level in the pool so I had VERY low water level in the spa. I understand this is almost certainly an issue with a broken check valve. Could this be why the heater was damaged? Chlorine running back through from the SWG?

FWIW:
I have a SWG pool and my Hayward H400 heater was installed in 2004. So far I have replaced one igniter and one pressure switch. My neighbor uses pucks to chlorinate and his identical heater lasted 5 years before the heat exchanger began to leak. The key to making one last is carefully managed water chemistry. That and avoiding freeze damage in colder climate.

Last edited:
FWIW:
I have a SWG pool and my Hayward H400 heater was installed in 2004. So far I have replaced one igniter and one pressure switch. My neighbor uses pucks to chlorinate and his identical heater lasted 5 years before the heat exchanger began to leak. The key to making one last is carefully managed water chemistry. That and avoiding freeze damage in colder climate.
What error codes did it throw up for the igniter and pressure switch issues?
I'm switching to a Pentair MasterTemp for my next one. Hoping for better results. I keep my chemistry pretty well maintained, but may back down on FC just a tad. I usually keep it on the higher end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.