NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
We have a Hayward H350FDN heater approximately 5 years old, no problems until this year. I've day it kept heating past at temperature then shut off and looked without power. Breaker was OK.
It turned itself back on a week later so I turned it off and called for service. The tech said "these models are known for acting funky after rain. "
True, we had light rain last night, and heavy rain for the week before the problem started.
I suggested covering the unit with a tarp when not in use but he said the wasn't recommended.
We are getting the control board replaced.
Does anyone have this unit, and have you had similar issues? I have a GFI on the same breaker that I use, so I'd rather not keep it turned off all the time. It seems like a bad design if these malfunction after rain.

After a hard rain, open the front panel where all the electronics are located and see if there is any water incursion. There just may be a seal that is bad and needs replacement. At least on my unit, all the doors have rubber gaskets that are supposed to keep the water out.

Also, in the exhaust fan outlet, there should be a short pipe that allows rain to run out. Make sure that is not plugged.

I suggested covering the unit with a tarp when not in use but he said the wasn't recommended.

Covering the heater with a tarp makes a nice tent for critters to nest in and cause other trouble with heaters.

We are getting the control board replaced.

Are you getting the control board replaced or the Display Board.

Did you have a CE code on the display indicating a display failure. Water gets in around the display and causes the keypad to be non-responsive. The thread Design Flaw in Hayward Pool Heaters Causing CE Error Codes goes deeper into the problem and its causes. The fix is an expensive replacement of the display boards.

Reactions: TommySalami
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.