Hayward H300 heater not igniting - 1F code (ignition failure)

Dec 1, 2010
Massachusetts
Hi all,
So the heaters not firing. The fan kicks on, the ignitor glows red hot, the valve clicks and nothing comes out. I cleaned the orifices out, nothing was in them.
Is it the valve not opening? I pulled the plug on top of the valve and the gas comes out. I then tried to bottom plug with 27volts (scooter charger) on the gas valve (hear it click) and nothing comes out. Is that a valid test indicating bad gas valve? Valve is $300 pus install so I don't want to waste my time and money on this 10 year old heater erroneously.
Thanks for any insight!

Inkedimage0 (2)_LI.jpg

image1 (3).jpeg

Last edited:
If you cleaned the orifices already, failure to light the burners can also be due to dirty burners or restricterd burner tubes (spider webs), incorrect gas pressure or weak ignitor. Did you ohm out the ignitor or check the burners?

If you cleaned the orifices already, failure to light the burners can also be due to dirty burners or restricterd burner tubes (spider webs), incorrect gas pressure or weak ignitor. Did you ohm out the ignitor or check the burners?
I just took the burner out and watched it get bright orange hot. Not an OHM test but will to that. Did not check burner tubes. I smell no propane at all which makes me think valve. My gas company is filling me up this week and will retry. It has 40 gallons in the tank now so I doubt filling it will so a thing. But, with that plug out of the valve should gas come out when it's called? I can hear a click but nothing...

The plug at the top of the valve is to test for inlet gas pressure. The one at the bottom will only allow gas out if the gas valve is opening. It is dangerous to do this with propane as it will pool at your feet when allowed to flow out an open port. And, unlike natural gas, it is poisonous. Does the gas valve "click" to indicate it is opening. If not you may have a bad gas valve. You really should have a manometer to test the pressure/operation or have a professional do it. If you get a new valve, be sure to get one that is for propane use. They look the same, but a natural gas valve on a propane heater is very dangerous. It has to have "propane" stenciled on the side of the valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.