Hayward H250 Heater problems

May 26, 2015
Kane, Pa.
I have an older hayward H250 dual thermostat, electronic ign.. When I turn it on it only runs about 3-5 seconds and shuts off. I have jumper wire the pressure switch control, the pressure switches on the headers, 3 limit switches on the front internals. I jumped them individually and then all at once, nothing helps. The inside of the tubes look like new. There was some corrasion built up externally, I cleaned them and you can see down to the burners. There is a new cartridge filter so the water flow is good. One thing I noticed before this problem the water from the heater to the pool was way hotter than normal. I am not familiar with any of the other electronics or the gas valve. Wondering if these components might be causing the problem.

Photos of full model number, gas valve/burner section and control section with panel off/tilted out would be helpful. It sounds like you may not be proving flame. Any Fenwal ignition control fault codes flashing?
Photos of full model number, gas valve/burner section and control section with panel off/tilted out would be helpful. It sounds like you may not be proving flame. Any Fenwal ignition control fault codes flashing?

3-5 seconds is the free run time a gas valve gets prior to flame sensing. Pull and clean the flame sensor with fine steel wool or use a dollar bill folded and rubbed on the sensor to polish it.
the flame sensor is only a couple yrs old, I did the cleaning even though it looked like new. I think the key may be the water coming out of the heater was way hotter than normal before I encountered this problem??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.