Long Island , NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Just opened up my 18x33 above ground pool. After everything was connected and the pump operating, I turned on the Hayward heater. It would turn on briefly with no gas ignition and cycle off and on a few times and shut off with the error code IF (ignition failure). I tried all the trouble shooting in the manual with no success. I could feel and hear the gas valve cycling on and then turn off. I figured it might be a bad ignitor so I pulled the ignitor out and turned it on again. The ignitor glowed like it should so I reinstalled it. I was at a loss, figuring it might be a bad $200 circuit board. As a last resort before calling a service tech to repair it, I googled the problem and found a youtube video of someone with the same problem. He removed the 4 screws and backed out the gas supply manifold and blew out the jets which then fixed the problem. I did the same but unscrewed the jets and guess what I found. The first jet that was right by the ignitor was totally clogged with a spider nest. I cleaned it out, reinstalled everything and lo and behold, it fired up perfectly. Hope this saves someone else some money.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.