Long Island , NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I opened my pool this weekend and did a test run on the Hayward heater and found it not working with the error code "IF" (ignition failure). I ran the tests on the igniter voltage, and gas valve voltage and it all checked out but it would not ignite. I removed the manifold and gas valve to check if the gas jets were clogged with spider webs and found that they were perfectly clean with no debris. I connected the gas line electric and turned it on again. Everything went through the start up sequence fine and I could feel the gas valve energize but the valve was not opening. I was ready to order a replacement valve at a $140 price tag but decided that I had nothing to lose by disassembling the valve to see if I could repair it. I removed the top of the valve cover to expose the coils that actuate the valve to open and close. On the bracket that holds the coil assembly was a small circuit board in the recess behind the coils. This board had leaf spring type connecters that made contact with the coil connecters and could be slid out of the coil bracket. When I removed the board, I found that there was corrosion on the contacts and the circuit board had spider webs between the board and the plastic holder. I blew the spider webs from the board and cleaned the corrosion off of the contacts. Put everything back together , re-installed the gas valve and manifold, connected the gas and turned it on. I fully expected it not to work but low and behold to my surprise, it worked perfectly !! Hope this might help anyone with a similar gas valve problem.

Great you got the unit going but I would not suggest that everybody start taking apart their gas valve to see what is wrong. If someone doesn't do something right, you have now created a dangerous issue. Just my opinion for safety reasons.

Great you got the unit going but I would not suggest that everybody start taking apart their gas valve to see what is wrong. If someone doesn't do something right, you have now created a dangerous issue. Just my opinion for safety reasons.

it is a no brainer if you have the mechanical skills as I have. Removing the top plastic cover of the valve only exposes the electrical component of the valve and is not sealed in any way. The integrity of the gas carrying part of the valve is in no way compromised.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.