Hayward H Series Heater

b4k

Jul 14, 2019
Bremerton
Hi, a slow drip is coming out of H250ED2, Hayward H Series Heater. I've included a picture of the heater, as well as the area that is dripping. It started this season. Any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

• Heater.jpg
    Heater.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Heater2.jpg
    Heater2.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to TFP.

That is a winterizing drain plug. Your pool and heater winterized for the winter? Check if it is tight.

That looks like part 18 - H-Series Drain Valve Assembly (HAXDRV1930)

@ps0303 @Pool Clown

No, the pool is back open for summer.

We keep the filter running during winter, but not heated (if that's relevant?). There's no O ring on the drain plug and it seems to be as tight as can be - our pool guy did take if off before winter. Should there be an O ring on this? I don't recall ever seeing one on this plug. Thanks

The parts diagram does not show an O ring on it. An O ring would not last around the heat. I would remove the plug and check it for dirt or corrosion. You might want to try some teflon pipe tape around the threads. If it still leaks then replace it.

When we start to take the plug out it there’s a sound of rushing water, like water is draining out of the main filter. Is this normal and should we expect a rush of water out from the plug? Or anything we need to know when starting up the filter afterwards? Thanks again.

(my husband started his own profile instead of signing into mine, hence 2 user names).

Do you have a heater bypass valve?

Thats a drain plug and with the heater in the water loop you depressurize the system and water will drain from the filter.

Is your pool equipment above or below the pool water level? You can close the valve to your pump suction if you have to ensure the pool doesn't drain through it.

Startup should be normal. It may just take a bit of time for the pump to prime.

Yes there's a heater bypass. Should we close it or can we just let it drain and then let it re-prime itself at start up?

It's an underground pool - the equipment is at level or below, I think?? I can't think of any reason that we would need to ensure it doesn't drain through... Other than the fear of the unknown.

Close the heater bypass while you work on the heater. Some water will drain out of the heater but the entire filter will not drain on you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It worked!!! A little Apple cider vinegar removed the corrosion from the plug and we put it back with some Teflon tape. Leak gone! Our pool guy said we’d need a new heat exchanger something or other and would be very expensive. I’m posting an ‘after’ picture of the plug- It’s not green anymore. Yay!!

Huge and sincere thank you’s!!!

Attachments

• F62EC28B-0DCD-4FF0-9DB7-A4C58CFFF485.jpeg
    F62EC28B-0DCD-4FF0-9DB7-A4C58CFFF485.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.