Ok ok
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I need some advice on my salt water generator. It has a T 15 cell. I noticed the other day it was reading my salt levels low, so I added salt. Come to find out it was not accurate and I ended up with about 5000 ppm salt in my pool. That was my first mistake I should’ve tested my salt, but it was not surprising because we’ve had a ton of rain. Anyway I deluded it and got it back down to about 3600 ppm. I followed instructions and tried to re-calibrate my control module. But no matter what I do it always goes back to inspect cell, and reads a lower salt level again, this morning it was showing 2000. So I recalibrated it once again, and within 10 minutes it’s flashing low salt and inspect cell again. Also the reading has dropped down to 2500 ppm again. I have checked and cleaned the cell, probably twice a year, and again did it just the other day so it is clean. I normally soak it in 25% solution with my PH mutation acid. I think I know the answer, my cell is probably shot. I just want to make sure I’m not missing something. Of course even though it says generating on the readout, I have to add chlorine to maintain sanitation. If I do need a new cell, where would you recommend I purchase it from? I see them online for about half price for some replacement cells, versus the expensive Hayward. If I’m remembering right this is only two years old. I’m hoping I don’t have to replace everything. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like you have been doing several things to determine the issue with the SWCG.
@JamesW may have some ideas.
Also, you really need a K1766 test kit for your salinity. Do you have your own test kit for all the water chemistry parameters?
FYI - each time you clean a SWCG it reduces its life. If you maintain appropriate water chemistry, you should never have to clean the cell.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

See these two threads for the information that we need.

Thanks for the quick reply’s, here is some added information. I do have a TFP test kit, along with the K-1766 salt test kit.

Current readings are
Cl-4 ppm ( it was 1 but I added liquid chlorine)
PH -7.6
TA-120
CH-425
CYA -50
Salt 3700

Chlorine levels was low due to cell not working, TA and hardness is high from well water.

I just checked, I bought this salt water system and converted my pool on May 2, 2016.
Control box says AQR15 - 3A16039-103757

Cell -Turbo Cell GLX-Cell-15
3E16161-405668

Diag numbers after Turn it off and back on
57P
AL-0
r 1.59
t-15

Because my pool equipment is elevated from my pool I normally let my Pentair variable speed pump run 24 seven if that makes any difference. Otherwise it will lose prime on occasion. That’s another issue, but I wanted to let you know I keep it running all the time.

Another thing I should mention is I used to notice when I turn the dial to a higher percent I could hear it click on and off, now rather it’s on one or 100% I could not hear the system kick on or off when I adjust the dial. Even when it shows generating, and every time I reset calibrate my salt level to a higher level it drops back down to like 2500 or less and then has errors

The box was made February 08, 2016 (Monday).

The cell was made June 09 2016 (Thursday). So, I don't see how it could have been installed in May 2016.

If the cell is installed hump up, try putting it hump down and recheck the readings.

Also, make sure that the flow is good through the cell.

I just had it off yesterday to checked it and make sure it was clean so the flow should be good, but I will go out there now and put it hump down. How long should I wait to check readings after that?

I’m out here now, but I wanted to report that it says generating and I can hear the click now when I adjust my output percent knob. I’m going to shut things down and twist that cell hump down now ....

OK I took the salt cell out and inspect it, it looks like new inside there, very clean nothing looks out of place. I looked inside tubing to see the flow sensor, although I can’t reach it it looks clean and clear. After I turned it back on, salt level dropped to 2400 on read out and check salt inspect cell light came back on.

64P
AL-0
r 1.59
t-15

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just checked them again they changed a little bit

44P
AL-0
r 1.59
T-15

I recalibrated salt read out to 2900 just now to see if it will start generating again, it shows it is.

The cell was made June 09 2016 (Thursday). So, I don't see how it could have been installed in May 2016. At best, it would be in June sometime.

It has a 3 year warranty. It looks like the cell has failed. I would suggest a warranty claim since it should be less than 3 years from installation.

On the installation date, I just looked back to when I purchased it, I may have had it for a while before I actually installed it, sorry about that.

OK, sorry about the error on purchase date my wife just reminded me that I had a faulty cell originally and they replaced it. That explains why the dates don’t match up.

You have a 3 year warranty from the date that you received the cell. I would suggest a warranty claim.

In one set of readings, the amps are listed as 0.04, which is unusual. It makes me question whether the amp meter in the box is reading the amps correctly. If the ampmeter is faulty, that would affect the salinity reading.

Testing the actual amps would be difficult because you don't have access to the wires.

I would say 95% it's a bad cell and 5% there might be an issue with the main circuit board.

File a warranty claim and let the technician figure it out.

Last edited:
You have a 3 year warranty from the date that you received the cell. I would suggest a warranty claim.
That’s interesting, when I called Hayward support about this they said there was only a one-year warranty.

I will check on that, also it sounds like you think it is the cell then?

3E16161 means
3 = 3 year warranty.
E = Cell
16 = Made in 2016
161 = 161 day of 2016.

Probably a bad cell, but that one odd amp reading of 0.04 makes me question the amp reader in the circuit board.

All I can say is wow and thank you very much. Hayward told me on the phone there was only a one year warranty so I had written that possibility off. I called them back on the phone and told them there should be a three-year warranty, and then they said I was correct. So I went to the local Hayward dealer, they tested my cell and it is indeed bad, and I walked out with a brand new one at no cost. I wish you lived close Lee, I would buy you dinner !!!

Worked out great, very close to end of warranty. Once again this forum has been so helpful to me and I am very grateful, thank you again.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.