Hayward Gas Heater Install questions

ATX61

Bronze Supporter
Oct 4, 2020
Austin, TX
Recently purchased a Hayward 400,000 BTU gas heater. Trying to get my plumbing lined out before I get into the install. Pic of pool pump/filter set up attached pic. Left side of pic is yellow mark where I plan to cut into plumbing to feed the heater. Right side of pic is where plan to cut into plumbing to flow heated water back to pool via the jets. Also attached is diagram from Hayward install manual.

Question: On the plumbing going to heater I was going to install a PVC T socket at yellow mark >> 2 way ball cut off valve or 2 way Jandy valve >> back flow preventer >> heater. I am no longer using tablets in the chlorinator so do I really need a back flow preventer? Could I just install a 3 way Jandy valve in place of the of the PVC T socket and cut off flow to chlorinator when using heater?

On the outlet from heater I was going to install a 2 way ball cut off valve or 2 way Jandy valve >> to return line with a PVC T socket.

Also, install manual says if system flow rate exceeds 125 gpm I need to install a manual bypass valve. Did not see any gpm specs on pool pump tag. How do I find out system flow rate?

Would appreciate any tips or advice on this install.

Attachments

• IMG_7365.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 2.09.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 2.09.43 PM.png
    48 KB · Views: 15
I don't see a yellow line in your pic in the PDF file. It makes it easier for all of us to review and respond to posts if you insert the pics directly into the message using the picture icon on the tool bar.

Cut your pipe between the filter output and the chlorinator. Filter output goes into a 3-way diverter valve. Diverter valve out goes into heater input.

Heater output goes to a check valve, then to a T, then to the chlorinator.

Connect other output from diverter valve to the T.

You now have a bypass valve and a CV protecting the heater from backflow from the acidic water of the chlorinator.

See pictures and diagrams in Heater Bypass - Further Reading

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.