Jun 11, 2018
League City, Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
So we had a big storm this afternoon and I had my pump running to drain the pool(we have to overflow line). I noticed the water level kept rising and looked on my Hayward AquaConnect app and it said Filter VSP comm error. The pump was no longer running and draining the pool. I tried resetting the breakers for 5-mins but that did not work. My Tristar pump is controlled by my Aquaplus automation. My equipment is barely a year old. I put in a call to a Hayward authorizes repair guy but only got a an answering machine. Any help would be appreciated?

That message means your AquaPlus can't communicate with the Tristar pump.

Follow along with that @JamesW goes though on this thread...

Hopefully the storm did not blow out a board on your controller or pump.

Last edited:
I tried resetting all the breakers and waiting 10mins but that didn’t work. I text my PB and he said if that didn’t work someone should prolly come look at it. He’s putting in a call for warranty work for me. It’s under warranty till 2022, so I think I’ll let them handle it. I was just trying to find out if it was something I could do on my own and quickly. Guess I’ll be dumping in some 10% bleach till my SWG gets going again.

Thanks ajw22 for sharing that thread! In that thread, the guy stated he was still able to turn on his pump via the top panel. I looked at my top panel today and nothing comes on. Does this mean my pump may be dead? I’m still waiting on someone to come look at my stuff. For now I’m just manually adding chlorine and stirring it in with my brush and my Tigershark.

If by top panel you mean the display on the back of the pump then if that is dead the pump is likely dead.

That is exactly why I’m referring to! That is a bummer. Very disappointing. It’s just over a year old. I sure hope I get a new one under warranty. Thanks for the help!

I don’t know why I didn’t test this earlier, but this morning I tried to turn on my water feature pump to circulate some water. It didn’t come on either. What I thought may have been a defective pump, may actually be a damaged pump. We had a big storm on Friday and now I’m thinking lighting may have hit my equipment pad because both my main pump and water feature pump are are not working. I just checked my heater too and all of the lights are off. This sounds terrible and now I’m scared they won’t replace these items under warranty if it’s lightning damage. If my equipment was damaged by lightning, why does my automation appear to be working fine? The display and all the buttons work fine(you can scroll through menus). The only problem is nothing turns on when you try to turn them on. Does this sound like it may be lightning damage?

Check the circuit breaker on the feed to your pool subpanel. It sounds like you lost the electrical feed to the equipment pad.

Depends how your pool electrical system is wired. Post pics of your electrical panels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Both pump CBs look tripped in the open Hayward panel.

tripped CBs.jpeg

Ajw22 you are the man!!!!! A thousand times “Thank you”. Im glad you were paying attention b/c I wasn’t. I’d moved past the breakers and was thinking about other possibilities. Everything has come back to life!!!!!!

I’ve been working the last three nights so this has been my first day to really take a look at this problem. I tried resetting the breakers the other day and nothing happened. Now today it decides to work????? Maybe things had to dry out??? It’s rained this hard before and this never happened. My wife tried to reset the breakers the other night and maybe she didn’t turn them back on, I guess. I didn’t even realize the breakers weren’t turned back on. ?‍♂️
Talk about being a dummy and feeling like a moron. I’m just relieved my equipment isn’t dead. I just hope everything stays good.

That junction box with the tape is actually very well sealed. The tape was left on after construction and I never even thought about removing it.

Everything is on and working so thanks again TFP!!!!

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.