Hayward Filter Tie Rod Cleaning

Atropicalone

Mar 21, 2021
Fort Lauderdale, Fl
HI, the tie rod in my hayward filter C1200 is solid and has good threads, no issues with removing it. But, it has some rust and discoloration on the surface. Does anyone know how to clean this properly?
Is it stainless steel and requires passivation, or would a cleaner and some other coating resolve this? Thanks for any help!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I just use a simply wire brush to clean the threads at the top. Then I always apply a good coating of pool silicone lube to the threads before I place the lid on top and secure it. I've yet to mess with cleaning the rest of the rod that sits down in the filter/water. Maybe one day I should. :scratch: It's been 11+ years now. Ha ha.

HI, the tie rod in my hayward filter C1200 is solid and has good threads, no issues with removing it. But, it has some rust and discoloration on the surface. Does anyone know how to clean this properly?
Is it stainless steel and requires passivation, or would a cleaner and some other coating resolve this? Thanks for any help!
Try as you might, even if the minor rust is removed it will come back. Its the nature of the stainless steel that is used in pool equipment. Won't harm anything and is in virtually every brand of filter that has that steel in contact with pool water.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thanks for your answers. I was concerned that the rod may be the source of rust spots on the surface of the pool. It is a fiberglass San Juan, and doesn't tend to rusting, until recently. Spots seem to be appearing randomly. Pump is 2 y.o., everything else is plastic or non-metal. Will have to find another suspect then.

I was concerned that the rod may be the source of rust spots on the surface of the pool.
Are you able to share any pics of these spots? You already confirmed they are iron with a Vitamin C tablet I suppose?