Hayward EcoStar VSP continually tripping circuit breaker

I have a Hayward EcoStar variable speed pump, model SP3400VSP, it is 5 years old, continually shutting off, usually tripping the circuit breaker, but not always. After resetting the circuit breakers, it will restart, but the time before shutting off again has gotten shorter and shorter, 3 day, 2 days, 1 day, and now it's almost immediate. Sometimes the screen on the pump's user interface says, "Drive Error! Power Interrupted", which the manual says "the line power supply was disconnected and reconnected too quickly and that the input current limiter is resetting itself". Several other error codes with "Drive Error" (not displaying) indicate "the drive may need to be replaced", but that's not what this one says so I hesitate to have it replaced (as 1 repair person has recommended) if it's some other electrical problem, especially since the motor drive is $1,100.00 plus installation. I have read several comments about this same problem that said it's the circuit breaker that needs to be replaced and more than one person even recommending Siemens circuit breakers to not have this problem with this pump, (but it's worked for years with the breaker I have now). What direction do you think I should go?

Winston,

I agree with Dave.. but faced with the choice of a new drive or a new circuit breaker, the breaker wins every time... Even if I thought it was the drive, I would try a new breaker first.

I assume that the pump's breaker is a GFCI breaker... As a test (only) you could install a cheap standard 20 amp breaker and run it for a few days and see if it trips, or if the pump shuts off. If so, you will know for a fact the pump is faulty..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Winston Churchill
I would swap the breaker as advised above and see if it holds. Before I spent 1100 on a drive I would order a tristar vsp for less than that and swap it yourself the plumbing lines right up and they have simple pump unions very easy to screw off. I have an ecostar too its 2 years old and I had a tripped breaker 2 weeks ago for no reason. When mine goes I will ne swapping the whole pump even though the drive costs me about 500ish. I have the newer style ecostar that supposedly has its issues fixed but not holding my breath. It is a great pump tho and I really like it overall

Reactions: Winston Churchill
Winston,

I agree with Dave.. but faced with the choice of a new drive or a new circuit breaker, the breaker wins every time... Even if I thought it was the drive, I would try a new breaker first.

I assume that the pump's breaker is a GFCI breaker... As a test (only) you could install a cheap standard 20 amp breaker and run it for a few days and see if it trips, or if the pump shuts off. If so, you will know for a fact the pump is faulty..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes, it just seems to make sense. I'm going to try a new circuit breaker first. If I didn't, I would always be wondering if it would have fixed the problem.

I would swap the breaker as advised above and see if it holds. Before I spent 1100 on a drive I would order a tristar vsp for less than that and swap it yourself the plumbing lines right up and they have simple pump unions very easy to screw off. I have an ecostar too its 2 years old and I had a tripped breaker 2 weeks ago for no reason. When mine goes I will ne swapping the whole pump even though the drive costs me about 500ish. I have the newer style ecostar that supposedly has its issues fixed but not holding my breath. It is a great pump tho and I really like it overall
Thank you. I'm going to try replacing the circuit breaker first. If that doesn't fix the problem, I probably will replace the entire pump.

I have a Hayward EcoStar variable speed pump, model SP3400VSP, it is 5 years old, continually shutting off, usually tripping the circuit breaker, but not always. After resetting the circuit breakers, it will restart, but the time before shutting off again has gotten shorter and shorter, 3 day, 2 days, 1 day, and now it's almost immediate. Sometimes the screen on the pump's user interface says, "Drive Error! Power Interrupted", which the manual says "the line power supply was disconnected and reconnected too quickly and that the input current limiter is resetting itself". Several other error codes with "Drive Error" (not displaying) indicate "the drive may need to be replaced", but that's not what this one says so I hesitate to have it replaced (as 1 repair person has recommended) if it's some other electrical problem, especially since the motor drive is $1,100.00 plus installation. I have read several comments about this same problem that said it's the circuit breaker that needs to be replaced and more than one person even recommending Siemens circuit breakers to not have this problem with this pump, (but it's worked for years with the breaker I have now). What direction do you think I should go?

I wanted to update those who gave an opinion on my question, (Divin Dave
It sounds like a circuit breaker to me.
It sounds like a circuit breaker to me.
Update: I had my pool guy change the circuit breaker and specified a Siemens. It worked,....for a couple days, then same thing. But I still wasn't ready to to replace the pump. Someone else suggested I disconnect the pump from the automatic control box and program it separately (even though it would not be connected to my indoor controls). My pool guy also contacted Jandy about the issue and was told they don't recommend
connecting my variable speed pump (probably any variable speed pump) to the control box I had, not enough relays to handle everything. When I bought the pump, the retailer didn't ask or consider what equipment I had. The installer put both the pool light and spa light together so that one button on my inside controls would turn both on, to make room for a second speed of the pump. So on my control box, I only had use of
2 of 4 speeds the pump has. So now the pump is not connected to my automatic control panel and it runs fine with multiple schedules and speeds programmed on the pump controls. All of my other pool equipment runs fine and still connected to my automatic controls. If I use the spa and the pump is not already running on a programmed schedule I have to manually turn it on, but that's ok as being retired now, I'm not ready to
spend thousands for a new, larger control box.

Winston,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Update: I had my pool guy change the circuit breaker and specified a Siemens. It worked,....for a couple days, then same thing. But I still wasn't ready to to replace the pump. Someone else suggested I disconnect the pump from the automatic control box and program it separately (even though it would not be connected to my indoor controls). My pool guy also contacted Jandy about the issue and was told they don't recommend
connecting my variable speed pump (probably any variable speed pump) to the control box I had, not enough relays to handle everything. When I bought the pump, the retailer didn't ask or consider what equipment I had. The installer put both the pool light and spa light together so that one button on my inside controls would turn both on, to make room for a second speed of the pump. So on my control box, I only had use of
2 of 4 speeds the pump has. So now the pump is not connected to my automatic control panel and it runs fine with multiple schedules and speeds programmed on the pump controls. All of my other pool equipment runs fine and still connected to my automatic controls. If I use the spa and the pump is not already running on a programmed schedule I have to manually turn it on, but that's ok as being retired now, I'm not ready to

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Consider yourself among the most blessed of all pool owners w a hayward ecostar that has lasted 5 yrs...that is a record
I guess their performance history is why my pool man thought it was a bad pump. I have looked at reviews and it seems like Hayward put out a lemon that they should have recalled. I'm forewarned now and
when the time comes I do have to buy a pump, it probably won't be a Hayward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.