Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed + Timer for SWG

fatboy1271

LifeTime Supporter
Last spring we had our pool resurfaced to fiber and a Pentair IC40 SWG installed. The installer didn't put the IC40 on a timer so it ran 24 hours a day and started to melt itself... I'm ordering a new IC40 so my question are:

1. Is it possible to tie the IC40 into the Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed timer? Doesn't seem likely, but I have to ask.
2. If not, is there a timer I should purchase?
3. Does anyone know if a general electrician would understand this set up or should I contact a pool installer for this? The power box for the IC40 is already hooked up and mounted, as it was running for about 8 months last year.

Thanks for any info!
Patrick

Pat,

Your VS pump will not control the SWCG..

The easiest thing to do is get a mechanical timer and wire the input AC power to the SWCG's power supply through the timer so that the cell only gets power when the timer is on.. Then you set the pump to run using the pumps' control panel and set the mechanical timer so that the timer is on only when the pump is supposed to be on. It will be up to you to keep them in sync..

Any electrician should be able to wire this for you, as long as they understand what it is that you are trying to accomplish. You never want the cell on unless the pump is scheduled to be running.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Pat,

Your VS pump will not control the SWCG..

The easiest thing to do is get a mechanical timer and wire the input AC power to the SWCG's power supply through the timer so that the cell only gets power when the timer is on.. Then you set the pump to run using the pumps' control panel and set the mechanical timer so that the timer is on only when the pump is supposed to be on. It will be up to you to keep them in sync..

Any electrician should be able to wire this for you, as long as they understand what it is that you are trying to accomplish. You never want the cell on unless the pump is scheduled to be running.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim! Yeah, I found out the hard way that the SWG should never run without water flowing through it. At least I didn't pay the contractor for the original IC40 that was hooked up...

Patrick

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.