Hayward Ecostar 3400SVP pump Drive Error

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
Either it is poor quality components used in the drive or the motor was simply under designed for the wet end. Keeping the RPM below 3000 RPM might help.

The Hayward TriStar and MaxFlo VS pumps don't seem to have these same issues but they are smaller wet ends too.

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Either it is poor quality components used in the drive or the motor was simply under designed for the wet end. Keeping the RPM below 3000 RPM might help.

The Hayward TriStar and MaxFlo VS pumps don't seem to have these same issues but they are smaller wet ends too.
Mark,

There's multiple versions of the Tristar [1.85HP and 2.7HP] and there's one you can buy on the I-net and the others from dealers. The latter is supposed to have better seals and a 4 yr vs 3 yr warranty.

There seems to be a lot more of the 1.85 installs than 2.7. If you search 2.7HP Tristar install reviews, you get zero. Do you have any experience or feedback on the 2.7HP tristar installs or do you know where you can obtain any objective/true field experience feedback on them? I'm pretty sure there's nothing more than 18-24 months on them either way bc of the recent redesign. One TFP user stated the tristar had an altogether diff controller design and used either used different current [AC vs DC] technology. I think it is even in this thread.

Thanks, tstex

Here's the quote from rcy re current types:

"I also see (reading the Tristar Technical Guide and the Ecostar Technical Guide, that the Tristar has DC voltage too high and too low messages but the Ecostar has AC too high and too low messages. Does the fact that one is using DC and the other AC make any difference?"

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
The basic VFD/VPD technology is going to be the same for all VS pumps. What may differ is the components used and the power section design for the load. For the VS motor drive, the AC is directly converted to DC power via rectifiers then goes directly into the IGBTs which switch the DC power back into PWM 3-phase AC power. So the power delivered to the motor only touches the rectifiers, a high power capacitor, inductor and the IGBTs. Normally, if a VFD fails, I would first suspect the IGBTs because they are very sensitive to voltage spikes and are carrying a large amount of current (on higher speeds). However, it isn't entirely clear which component is failing. Some have shown pictures of failures but I cannot tell which part that is.

VFDs have been around for a very long time so the technology is well developed. However, they are very sensitive to the design and the harmonics generated in the high power waveforms. Any mismatch in the power cables can cause huge power spikes frying the IGBTs. Running at lower RPM and lower power may help this situation if there is a design issue.

The controller is not unlike other controllers. It will have it's own power supply, micro-controller and drivers but everything is fairly low power so not much should go wrong with this although it could be influenced by the high power switching in the motor drive if the shielding is not sufficient.

Note that because of the way VFDs are designed, one can monitor AC or DC or both voltages for spikes. The technology is the same, but the monitoring can be different.

Allencain9

Dec 6, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
Good afternoon,
First, let me say I am a Hayward guy through and through! My pump, heater, filter system, cleaner, salt cell, and filters are all Hayward. My pump just stopped working the other day. It has a "pump stalled" error on the screen. I purchased the entire system when I had the pool installed in Oct. 2013. In Oct. 2016, I had to have the pump motor driver replaced. Now I understand that it has already been replaced once, but technically now the driver is barely 2 years old. I tried contacting customer service, and the man I spoke with, after waiting on hold for over 20 minutes, was about the rudest man I have ever spoken with, and after being a police officer for 27 years plus a US Marine for 8 years, trust me I have dealt with rude people! He was not willing to listen to my issue at all and kept trying to rush me. He even kept saying "I know, I know", which was extremely frustrating. Needless to say, after reading all the negative social media complaints of the pump, I felt compelled to try this method.
Seeing as I am a loyal customer of Hayward products, I would like to see if there is any way you could help me with my issue

Thank you,
A loyal Hayward customer,
Al Cain

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Good afternoon,
First, let me say I am a Hayward guy through and through! My pump, heater, filter system, cleaner, salt cell, and filters are all Hayward. My pump just stopped working the other day. It has a "pump stalled" error on the screen. I purchased the entire system when I had the pool installed in Oct. 2013. In Oct. 2016, I had to have the pump motor driver replaced. Now I understand that it has already been replaced once, but technically now the driver is barely 2 years old. I tried contacting customer service, and the man I spoke with, after waiting on hold for over 20 minutes, was about the rudest man I have ever spoken with, and after being a police officer for 27 years plus a US Marine for 8 years, trust me I have dealt with rude people! He was not willing to listen to my issue at all and kept trying to rush me. He even kept saying "I know, I know", which was extremely frustrating. Needless to say, after reading all the negative social media complaints of the pump, I felt compelled to try this method.
Seeing as I am a loyal customer of Hayward products, I would like to see if there is any way you could help me with my issue

Thank you,
Al Cain
Al, sorry for your pain...

if your ecostar was installed in 2013 and it took till 2016 to fail, consider yourself one of the luckiest Hayward ecostars users on the planet...they usually fail w in the first 24 months from what I have read and personally experienced.

Here are some initial questions:

1, What are your current variable speed rpm settings for each of their runtimes
2. When your pump primes for the first run, what is the rpm setting and for how long? Also, how many times a day does it have to prime?
3. Do you have surge protection? if so, where is the SPD?

Finally, what are all of your equipment components as noted at the bottom of my post in the signature area? Also, thank you for your service. One of my brothers just retired from the police force after 38 yrs...we know the drill

jgarden

Jun 29, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Al, sorry for your pain...

if your ecostar was installed in 2013 and it took till 2016 to fail, consider yourself one of the luckiest Hayward ecostars users on the planet...they usually fail w in the first 24 months from what I have read and personally experienced.

Here are some initial questions:

1, What are your current variable speed rpm settings for each of their runtimes
2. When your pump primes for the first run, what is the rpm setting and for how long? Also, how many times a day does it have to prime?
3. Do you have surge protection? if so, where is the SPD?

Finally, what are all of your equipment components as noted at the bottom of my post in the signature area? Also, thank you for your service. One of my brothers just retired from the police force after 38 yrs...we know the drill
Are there optimum settings for the questions you are asking? Or are you just researching to find possible trends in what is causing the problems?

It's absurd for a 1k motor/pump to only last 3 years.

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
The controller has an overall bad design...and yes, 1K for a 3yr pump is NOT GOOD.

If you can answer the questions, it will help w telling you what to do, esp if you have automation or not, and surge protection or not.

The single speed energy hog pumps in the 70's and 80's lasted 20+ yrs but they made your electric meter sing bc they spun so fast...VS pumps are more energy efficient [if they are set to the proper RPM settings] but since they have more parts and electronics, there's more to fail.

Either way, if a car failed at 3yrs/36K mi, you'd be really po'ed right after warranty. To me, buying an extended warranty is like pre-paying the manufacturer to fix a product that was made poorly in the first place so when it needs to be fixed, the man is already covered...buying an extended warranty after 100K miles makes way more sense for buyer but manufacturer would never do it...wonder why?

The proposition at this time is to discern exactly what you have, how it was run and determine if it makes sense to fix it or go another route?

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Good afternoon,

Thank you,
Al Cain
Al, I always ask the name of the person I am talking w for any needed future purposes...this guy needs to be reported...I'd look up their corporate phone number and express your disdain for such poor customer interaction...if you get the same tone from corporate, time to move on....