Chandler AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
This morning, I noticed my 9 year old Hayward Ecostar SP340P VSP was making a slight squealing/grinding noise while running at 1100 rpm (usually, I can't even hear it running unless I am less than 4 feet away). This afternoon the noise is louder when running at 2900 rpm - as expected. Considering this pump has been running 24/7 for 9 years (20 hrs/day at 1100 rpm - 4 hrs/day at 2900 rpm), I consider myself fortunate it is still working. I attribute the longevity to running the pump 24/7 with no start/stop cycles on a daily basis - or just pure luck.

At some point this fall I also plan on replacing my 36" Hayward sand filter with a cartridge filter as the 20 year old sand filter vessel is at end of life. Plastic filter vessel vertical seam is showing signs of separating near top. Looking at a Pentair CCP420 or comparable Hayward cartridge filter. I also plan to replace the cast concrete equipment pad as it is showing some cracking after 20 years of a 700 pound sand filter sitting on it.

I have an IFCS and need a lot of flow to make it work well.
Original pump - 2hp single speed Hayward - replaced with Ecostar9 years ago.
Original filter - Hayward S360SX 36" sandfilter w/sidemount MPV.
12,300 gallon pool.
No automation.

I was planning on tackling the filter mid to late October, but the noisy pump may neccesitate moving that time up.

Looking for recommendations on replacement pump and filter. Either Hayward or Pentair. I realize supply chain issues may be limit my choices. Pros/cons of Pentair vs Hayward for the pump and the filter would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The CCP 420 is a GREAT filter, my 320 is going on 8 years and no issues at all..

You could probably just change out the bearing in your motor and get another 9 years out of it maybe... If you just want a new pump it hard to beat the price on this 3hp VS pump... We do not know how long they will last yet so there is that...

I have an IFCS and need a lot of flow to make it work well.
Original pump - 2hp single speed Hayward - replaced with Ecostar9 years ago.
Original filter - Hayward S360SX 36" sandfilter w/sidemount MPV.
12,300 gallon pool.
No automation.
What speed were you running at for the IFCS?

The Hayward and CaliMar have significantly different head curves so if you had to run at full speed with the EcoStar, the CaliMar won't do.

CaliMar
1632073100071.png

EcoStar
1632073595515.png

• Wow
Reactions: Texas Splash
Thanks guys!

I am leaning toward the Pentair CCP420 if I can find one available. I like the idea of 4 cartridges and ease of removing them versus a single or double cartridge setup.

@mas985 - Mark
2900 rpm for marginal IFCS performance. 3100-3200 rpm works well with a higher debris load.

Suction pipe is 2” and returns or IFCS are 1.5”. Pressure gauge at full speed with clean filter - IFCS is 19psi - returns is 15psi. Equipment pad is at same level as pool deck.

What Pentair pump and what Hayward pump are similar to the Ecostar? I’m thinking I need a better head curve than the Calimar can provide

The TriStar 2.7 HP VS (SP3206VS) is identical to the EcoStar. The Intelliflo has a very similar head curve. Either one would work well.

Any plans on automation in the future? Something to consider.

Reactions: mas985
Suction pipe is 2” and returns or IFCS are 1.5”. Pressure gauge at full speed with clean filter - IFCS is 19psi - returns is 15psi. Equipment pad is at same level as pool deck.
That seems a bit low for full speed. Is the pump elevated much from the water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That seems a bit low for full speed. Is the pump elevated much from the water?
Oops, 19psi is at 2900 rpm with IFCS running. Its about 23 psi at 3450 rpm with IFCS. Pump is at most one foot above the water. At 2900 rpm, I get adequate cleaning unless a lot of larger debris sinks to the bottom - then I usually go to 3300 rpm until clean.

Crisis averted for now though.... I was chatting with a neighbor earlier today and he said he had an old Ecostar in his garage that had an electronic drive issue - and that the motor had tested good. He said I could have it and try it out. Fast forward 1.5 hours - I'm back up and running after swapping out the motor. I hate PB who cram motors in the back corner of the pad with a wall in the back and on the side :rant:. I left my wet end in place and used my diffuser with his motor and impeller. So far, no leaks. If it keeps running, at least I won't need to manually mix in the chlorine. :eek:

Spinning the original motor by hand and can easily hear the front bearing noise. Will pull it completely apart to see if there was a seal leak. Maybe I'll consider having the bearings replaced if there isn't an other damage.

I really don't need automation and have no plans for it. I will be installing a SWG if prices drop over fall/winter - most probably a Circupool RJ 45.

Thanks again for the information! Plan is to find a new filter and pump now so I can install once the weather cools to below 90. Pentair CCP420 cartridge filter most likely and either the Tristar or Intelliflo referenced above.

Last edited:
Reactions: mas985
I'm having a very similar issue - noisy motor on a SP3400VSP

Presumably you have the same motor? SPX3400Z1ECM
Hayward tech support said the motor can't be repaired. Also a local Hayward-authorized shop (A&M Corson's) said they recommend just replacing the motor.
But two other shops said they CAN replace bearings (Perry's in N. Phoenix & Poolwerx) I'm in Tempe.

Given that, plus the history of drive failures, I'm going to replace it with a Tristar SP32950VSP. But I would consider repairing the Ecostar to have as a back-up

Keep us posted if you get the bearings replaced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.