Hayward CSPA -- adding a control switch/line

quandt

In The Industry
Oct 24, 2023
Los Angeles
I've got a working CSPA I'd like to add a switch to, ie an enable type switch. I think I just saw one wired to have an external switch, but like a dummy I just forgot to take a picture.

The external switch of course could be a timer or automation control line, but for now it will just be an external on/off switch.

The unit is currently the boring manual set the temp, and turn completely counter clockwise to turn it totally off.

Can any show me a diagram and or picture?

Welcome to TFP.

We don't see folks here using electric spa heaters.

Any licensed electrician should be able to rig up an external 240V switch meeting codes that powers it ON/OFF.

I've got a working CSPA I'd like to add a switch to, ie an enable type switch. I think I just saw one wired to have an external switch, but like a dummy I just forgot to take a picture.

The external switch of course could be a timer or automation control line, but for now it will just be an external on/off switch.

The unit is currently the boring manual set the temp, and turn completely counter clockwise to turn it totally off.

Can any show me a diagram and or picture?
Is it the 5.5kW or 11kW model. A 5.5kW can be controlled with an Intermatic T104 timer or a good 30A, dual pole switch. The 11kW amp draw is too large for an Intermatic directly. A 50A, dual pole switch with appropriate wire size could be used.

Attachments

• cz-11-instruction-sheet.pdf
    174.4 KB · Views: 0
Since the heater already has a contactor, I would think that you could put a switch on one of the coil wires.

What is the desired result?

Interrupting a coil wire shuts off power to the heating elements.

The coil is 240 volts and it is low current.

You can also install a separate relay outside the heater to shut off all power to the heater if you want.

11 kw is about 46 amps at 240 volts, so any contactor/relay has to be rated to the amperage.

You can use a relay with whatever coil voltage you want.

For example, you might have a 24 VAC or other control voltage available that you want to use to provide or disconnect power.

Note: I am not recommending or even suggesting that you can, or should, do this.

Modifying a piece of equipment might violate the safety rating of the equipment.

I am merely suggesting a possible modification that you can consider with an appropriate expert like an engineer to see if it will do what you want.

Do not rely on anything I say.

All work is based on your own research, your own decisions and your own risk.

You should consult with a qualified expert like a licensed electrician or an electrical engineer before making any modifications.

71xIpGZukBL._AC_SX522_.jpg

1698518246390.png

1698518484437.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.