Hayward CL-200 chlorinator cap leaking…again!

Jun 24, 2011
Montgomery, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My Hayward chlorinator is leaking, again. I replaced the o-ring and used silicone lubricant last month. Last night it was very difficult to remove (I had opened the motor basket to release pressure and turned the chlorinator off) and I noticed that the ring looked a bit stretched. This morning I come out to the thing overflowing like a fountain. I turned the pump off, released pressure, turned off chlorinator, and removed the cap. The o-ring looks a bit stretched, but it should’ve lasted more than just one month. What else do I need to replace, because I am sure that it is something more. image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    626.1 KB · Views: 4
You would be better off using a floating tablet feeder if you are going to use tablets and cut that feeder out of the system. As they age, the plastic deteriorates and it may never be able to be reliably sealed again. There are other reasons not to use one of those as well.

Last edited:
The CL200 is one of the most over-designed, under-functioning chlorinators on the market. The o-rings stretch and eventually fail to seal. You may be over tightening the lid - I find I never have to tighten it all the way down until the clip locks. Get a dozen o-rings off e-bay or Amazon and replace them as necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.