Hayward Chlorine Feeder help? (AQL-CHEM4-CHLOR)

Nov 19, 2014
Austin, TX
Howdy all. So, at year 5 of living in the south with an IGP I've finally decided to say goodbye to pucks forever and just switch over to liquid chlorine. Pucks are manageable, but I'm just tired of switching back and forth to try and keep my CYA in some kind of workable range... I'd rather just use chlorine and monitor/manage my CYA (which takes less regular mgmt).

On that note, I have a full hayward system, (Prologic, Colorlogic, VSP pump, etc) and am looking at buying and installing Haywards chlorine feeder (AQL-CHEM4-CHLOR). The problem I'm having is that while I can find install docs and the docs I find say its compatible with the Prologic system, I can't find any detailed discussion about install (article, youtube video, etc).

Specifically I'm trying to figure out if there's any equipment needed to install the feeder besides the feeder itself? For example, I'm assuming there's some kind of add-on or unit for determining the current chlorine level to regulate the feeder, and I'm also assuming that the Prologic board/system wouldn't come with that by default. But maybe that's mistaken? Maybe the feeder is manually regulated, meaning I set it to a level and then just need to monitor my CYA to ensure it stays in a range to make the feeder setting viable?

If anyone has any experience or insight they can share it would be much appreciated. Install seems fairly straghtforward... tap in in, power it up, etc, it's just the assumptions/secondary systems that may be involved that I have zero insight into.

Thanks,
Rick

Rick,

I was going to use the AQL-Chem4-Chlor so looked into it for a little while.. (I was actually looking into their acid pump..)

Basically you just need to run the power through one of your Aux relays.. Then schedule the chlorine pump to come on for X time per day.. By adjusting the aux relay schedule you can adjust the amount of chlorine you dump into the pool..

It is not self-regulating.. If you tell it to dump 5 gallons of chlorine in your pool, that is what it will do.. You need to still test and from time to time adjust the schedule.. Basically the same thing you do with a SWCG.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I was going to use the AQL-Chem4-Chlor so looked into it for a little while.. (I was actually looking into their acid pump..)

Basically you just need to run the power through one of your Aux relays.. Then schedule the chlorine pump to come on for X time per day.. By adjusting the aux relay schedule you can adjust the amount of chlorine you dump into the pool..

It is not self-regulating.. If you tell it to dump 5 gallons of chlorine in your pool, that is what it will do.. You need to still test and from time to time adjust the schedule.. Basically the same thing you do with a SWCG.

Ah, that's interesting, I hadn't thought about it as an aux relay/time mgmt type unit. I was thinking about it from either a standard puck constant drip chlroinator or some kind of responsive/active continuous system. I guess it makes sense to use the relay as a governor.

So, follow-up question, do you have any experience with run times? I guess if you only/ever explored using it for acid it would be different, but maybe in your research you did some calcs about flow rates? I can obviously work to dial it in once I have it, but some loose flow rate numbers would get me into range faster. E.g., my ~15k pool gets about 5.5ppm per 1 gal 10% hypo, and I lose about 1.5-2ppm per day.

Thanks for the help!

Rick

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.