Hayward cartridge filter manifold cracked

Apr 15, 2018
Daphne Alabama
Hello,

I am new to pools , and I’ve learnt a lot since having my pool. So before we got into the swimming season here in lower Alabama I thought it was time to clean my cartridge filters.

So I watched a few you tube videos and today took the top cover off and the manifold is cracked on the top, see pictur below.

In the meantime I’ve put it back together, but I’m assuming by having this crack in manifold that the filter ain’t working to good.

some questions
1. Were is the best place to buy spares from? O rings, manifold, new filters?
2. Anyone have some instructions for replacing?

Thanks

Nick

853E60F1-4746-4330-A3A5-8AB30095D1F9.jpeg

Google has lots of hits. You need your exact model number.

For one stop shop with great customer service call InyoPools. They are usually a great help to forum members.

O rings are always a good idea. The cartridges should last a long time. Failure is normally the plastic end caps finally deteriorate.

Not sure about the manifold. It should not be under any stress if installed properly. Be sure to not over tighten anything.

NIck,
The manifolds should not crack. I bet it was dropped, cracked some, then if the filters were not cleaned and became clogged, the water took the path of least resistance.
I would definitely replace manifold. If your cartridges are less than a yr old or the rings binding them are all in good shape, just clean and replace. Make sure you buy the proper type o-ring lubricate for pool O-rings..

Good luck, tstex

You should clean your filter when the filter pressure rises by 25% over the clean filter pressure.

As suggested, clean filters when 25% above max limit, but since your bands are breaking, I'd order a new set along w your new manifold. Replace cartridges and clean the old ones and use as s back up or rotate. If the bands completely break or ends are too cracked, then you can toss.

Order your silicone too Lube your O-rings...they don't have to be lubed all the time, only when the old silicone gets dried or flaky - Lube as needed

Good luck

Reactions: nick.simpson19
NIck,
The manifolds should not crack. I bet it was dropped, cracked some, then if the filters were not cleaned and became clogged, the water took the path of least resistance.
I would definitely replace manifold. If your cartridges are less than a yr old or the rings binding them are all in good shape, just clean and replace. Make sure you buy the proper type o-ring lubricate for pool O-rings..

Good luck, tstex
I think you are right that manifolds "should not crack", but in my experience, they do. I have replaced two in the past year and a half. I believe they crack due to pressure issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.