Hayward bulkhead leaking

Jul 19, 2020
Phoenix
Hello all. First let me say I tried searching but I couldn’t really find anything. I just kept getting results for the actual slide portion of the push/pull backwash assembly.

The other day I noticed I had sprung a leak. It was spraying quite eagerly out of the top bulkhead on my Hayward filter where the backwash valve connects. (See pic my finger is where it’s coming from). It’s coming out at a decent rate. A lot more than a drip but it’s not full blown spraying like a waist open hose. It sprays....maybe a couple of feet. Sorry, I’m just trying to give as much detail as I can.

So I bought an o-ring replacement kit, I took it apart, cleaned the mating surfaces, checked the plastic for cracks, put lube on the new o-rings, and put it back together. It was a tad better, but not much. So I tightened more. Tight enough as to where I’m not sure I’m comfortable using the channel locks to tighten it more. It helped more, but it’s still occurring.

When I inspected the old o-rings there wasn’t any cracks but it was definitely a bit flattened out.

This is the o-ring kit I bought. Maybe it’s not correct? I’m pretty sure it is. O rings

9893E752-35A9-4002-BC66-93688A6132F0.jpeg
9BC4B076-B2A9-4E36-B353-BB32E54871DA.jpeg

Welcome to TFP.

I don’t see a link or pic of the O ring kit you used.

Well, just as a quick fix I siliconed the leak. Worked for about two seconds and then the same thing happened where the pvc is going into the push pull valve. Soooooo, I’m guessing there is high pressure building up. Quickly. Question is where? In the filter? My pressure gauge broke some time ago so I can’t compare pressures.

but the water coming out of the returns didn’t feel any weaker or stronger.

so I take the top of the filter off and have a look?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.