Hayward Aqurite issues

fyn409

Jul 9, 2013
I am having issues with my Hayward Aquarite system again. This spring at startup it would not generate. I tried the power limiter replacement, was not the issue so I ended up replacing the board. It has been running well since then. Now over the weekend we had a large rain (3") and when I checked the next day I noticed the low salt light was on and it was reading a low salt level (1600). I thought it would be odd that just 3" of rain would dilute it that much so I tested the water and it is around 3200 still.

I had rinsed the cell out, did not see much on it, but figured I would clean it just in case as the system was installed by the previous owner and I do not know when they last did it, or how old the cell is. Cleaned it last night with a 4:1 water:muratic acid mixture. Put it back to together and started it up and now it reads 0 for salt level, and will generate for a few minutes and then kicks over to "low salt" and "Check cell". I tried doing the "re-calibrate" on the unit and it does nothing. I never get the countdown.

Does it sound like the cell has gone bad? Again I inherited the system so I do not know how old the cell is, but I have owned it for 2 years.

Thanks,
Ryan

I am having issues with my Hayward Aquarite system again. This spring at startup it would not generate. I tried the power limiter replacement, was not the issue so I ended up replacing the board. It has been running well since then. Now over the weekend we had a large rain (3") and when I checked the next day I noticed the low salt light was on and it was reading a low salt level (1600). I thought it would be odd that just 3" of rain would dilute it that much so I tested the water and it is around 3200 still.

I had rinsed the cell out, did not see much on it, but figured I would clean it just in case as the system was installed by the previous owner and I do not know when they last did it, or how old the cell is. Cleaned it last night with a 4:1 water:muratic acid mixture. Put it back to together and started it up and now it reads 0 for salt level, and will generate for a few minutes and then kicks over to "low salt" and "Check cell". I tried doing the "re-calibrate" on the unit and it does nothing. I never get the countdown.

Does it sound like the cell has gone bad? Again I inherited the system so I do not know how old the cell is, but I have owned it for 2 years.

Thanks,
Ryan
Many pool $tores can check the cell, just don't let them talk you into buying anything LOL.

How did you test your salt level?

Many pool $tores can check the cell, just don't let them talk you into buying anything LOL.

How did you test your salt level?

Yea, pool store is a hike for me, I did bring it in a month or so ago and they said it was good. Do they generally just die, or fade away? As for testing the salt I have the TFTP salt level test kit.

- - - Updated - - -

What are the diagnostic readings?

What are the first 4 of the box and cell serial numbers?

I will grab those when I get back home this evening. The cell is a compu pool? "generic T-15" cell.

So brought the cell in to be tested today and it is dead. Looks like time for a new one. As I said before this is a "generic t-15" cell made by compu pools. I do not know how old it is as I was there when I bought the place. What are your recommendations, generic good? Stick with Hayward? Looks like I can save maybe $100 by going the compupools route.

Thanks,
Ryan

Having read a whack of swg threads when I switched to swg last year, I noticed MANY reports of great longevity with the Hayward T15 cell, eg some getting 7-10 years out of them. The references to generics seemed by contrast to be about failure. Not a scientific sample but it sure gave me a sense that in this case the smart money is oem ;)

Well, decided to go with Hayward version as several pointed out there seems to be a lot of people reporting short life issues with the generics. I do not know how long this cell was running before I bought the house 1.5 years ago, just that the owner stated it was "fairly" new. I suspect that it was less that 2 years old at the time I purchased, so I am guessing it is 3.5-4 years old when it went out.

Thanks for the help an suggestions. I should have the new cell tomorrow so hope all goes well!

-Ryan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.