Hayward Aqualogic controller tripping

edtk421

May 23, 2022
Kennett Square
I have a Hayward Aqualogic controller - it's 12 years old - the 20 amp breaker to the control board trips after exactly 3 minutes every time. At the three minute mark it sounds like something is trying to turn on - hear a loud hum for a few seconds then the breaker trips - I have tried to remove each component to determine exactly what is the issue - so far no luck and so I'm looking for assistance.

Pumps are fine - can put the system in service mode and they will both run for hours with no issues (again controller breaker trips - not the pump breakers)
disconnected every lead - air temp, water temp, flow switch, chlorinator, heater - still trips after exactly 3 minutes
Thought it might be the chlorinator transformer - disconnect that - same issue

Thanks

I’m not familiar with Hayward, but I would disconnect indoor controller, wireless and spa side if you have it and test. Inspect the boards for any burns, insects, oxidization.
If those check out, you could check the vac on the transformer and pull and inspect breaker and terminal for cracks. Always work with power off.

- Will take it out today and inspect for burns, bugs, & debris
- All of the valve actuator plugs are out
- It does not trip if in services mode or service mode with pump running

Here is a link of a video when it trips - you can hear the board click, as though it attempting to turn on a function, you then hear a hum (like a transformer), then after a second or two the breaker trips.
** the air temp error is because the sensor leads are removed - the display starts to show the chlorinator level just as the breaker trips (making me think that is the issue) but I have turned on the system with both the chlorinator cell plug removed and the chlorinator transformer disconnected - same thing happens

There is one other transformer that is part of the circuit board - but if that is what is causing the issue then I will likely need a new board (but I would like to try and know for sure before spending $800+ for a new board)

1653392093956.png

It is happening when the system tries to turn on whatever is connected to Aux 2. Disconnect the Aux 2 relay and try it. If it doesn't trip disconnect high-voltage wires from Aux 2 and try with the relay plugged back in. If it trips with the Aux 2 relay alone, put the plug in the Aux 1 spot and try. If it trips the breaker, the problem is in the relay. Place the Aux 1 plug in the Aux 2 spot. If it trips the breaker it is most likely the board.

It sounds like when the unit tries to apply power to the T-Cell it trips the breaker. On the back metal plate, there are two square parts wit four terminals each. Carefully remove and mark the wires from these devices. Then try powering up the unit. It will give you an error code, but if it does not trip the breaker, then these two devices are. They are bridge rectifiers and will have to be replaced.

Problem solved - Thank you all for the assistance

Thought I had the timers off for everything except the main pump (I didn't)
The problem was Aux 2 - the booster pump for the pool vac
After three minutes of run time the Aux 2 pump was trying to come on - I the motor is seized, so larger draw was causing the breaker to trip.
Also did not realize that pump (being smaller) is powered through the breaker that also powers the board. Unlike the other two pumps that have stand alone power/breakers.

Thanks Again (y)

Reactions: Poolbreh
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.