Hayward Aqua Trol RS-485 Connection, is it Possible?

scotteh829

Jun 18, 2022
United States, Illinois
In summary, I'm trying to find someone that has successfully received data via RS-485 using an Aqua Trol, not Aqua-Rite which I've found multiple posts.

To give you more detail, I'm trying to pull whatever data is available from my Hayward Aqua Trol via the RS-485 connection and am wondering if that is even possible. I've seen many posts about this working using a Hayward Aqua Rite, but not the Aqua-Trol, which appears to use a very similar control board. The biggest difference with the Aqua Trol that I see is the addition of a relay that controls an electrical outlet for the pool pump, a built-in timer AND the absence of the RS-485 screw terminal on the board itself. Unlike the Aqua-Rite where the RS-485 screw terminal is already soldered to the control board, in my case I soldered on my own screw terminal. I've done a continuity check and the screw terminal appears to be properly connected. My control board is running r1.4 and is approx. 3 years old. My system is otherwise in good working order.

As for the wiring I have a 12v 1A DC power supply connected to V+ and Ground and wires connected between the control board Ground, A+, A- and a Waveshare Industrial USB to RS485 Converter to RS-232. The RS485 adapter drivers are installed and recognized as COM6 by my Windows 10 laptop. Once again I've checked continuity and DC power at all connection points and all is as expected. I've tried reversing the A+, A- wires with no change. As for connection sequence, I fire up my terminal emulation software first in hex mode, then apply the 12V DC power. My serial connection setup is 9600-8-N-1, no flow control.

On the RS-485 adapter I get power and can see the TX led flicker when I press key, but never see any activity on the RX. Since there is no screw terminal on the control board and there are some difference, I wonder if the Aqua Trol simply doesn't have the right hardware or software to communicate via RS-485 OR is there something wrong with my control board, which is why I'm trying to find anyone that has successfully used the RS-485 on an Aqua Trol.

Thanks

Scott

Welcome to TFP.

The AquaTrol has a different firmware load then the Aquarite and probably does not contain the RS-485 comm support.

I have not seen anyone here mention doing what you are trying to do.

Best of luck with your project. Let us know if you succeed.

Thank you @ajw22, although disappointing I somewhat expected your response. Looks like I need to go to plan B and build my own sensors connected to a microcontroller. Conductivity for salinity, ORDP for chlorine and DS18B20 for temperature tracking. If it works out I'll post my solution here. Thanks again for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.