Hayward aqua plus salt reading lower than taylor k 1766 test kit

jpcoder

Gold Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
Tega Cay, NC
The salt reading on my salt cell has been dropping for the last week or so. It was 3600 a week ago, 3500 2 days ago and 3400 today. I purchased a taylor k 1766 test kit to confirm the level and its giving me a result of 4000. I am using a speed stir, the correct sample size and very carefully counting drops. The transition from milky to red is distinct and happens between 2 drops as it should. I ran the test twice in fact and got the same results. I ran the diagnostic on the aqua plus, see picture, and it confirms 3400. The pool and swg cell are less than a year old. All my logs are available on Pool Math. Which result should I trust?

Attachments

• SWG_Diag.jpg
    SWG_Diag.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 13
Your amps are getting too close to the 8.0 amp limit. So, you need to get the salinity down until the amps are closer to 7.0.

Is the cell a T-15?

Check the cell for scale and clean if necessary, but only if necessary.

If the cell is clean, you need a third independent salt test to break the tie.

The cell shuts off at 8.0 amps. So, you have to go by that in any case.

Verify the salinity to see which is correct, but lower the salinity either way to avoid getting to 8.0 amps.

What are the first seven characters of the cell serial number?

Go to diagnostics and check the readings. Then press + to make it reverse polarity. The instant salinity should be about the same in both polarities. If it's significantly different, that indicates a problem with the cell.

If the cell is not generating when you first check the readings, press the + button to make it turn on. Give it a minute to stabilize and then press the + button again to make it reverse polarity.

Last edited:
Did it shut off at 8.0 amps?

Note: Most of the software shuts off the cell at 8.0 amps.

1 or 2 revisions use 10.0 amps, but I don't know which ones.

What is the software revision?

Ok, did it say high salt?

The cell has a 3 year warranty from the date of manufacture, or installation if you have a receipt.

The cell was made on the 194th day of 2018.

If you determine that the cell is significantly underperforming, you can have it tested at a store that tests cells and they will give you a new one if it's bad.

However, I would wait as long as possible before going for a warranty cell.

Double check the salinity using a different method.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, you might not need to lower the salinity, but you might want to anyway.

Above 8 amps causes excessive heat in the circuit board solder connections and the risk of burning the board is increased.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.