Benkg43

Mar 2, 2021
Richmond,TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine

I don't remember if I winterized my heater last year. I feel like I did, and I think what that consisted of is turning gas off to the heater and then pulling the drain plug allowing the plastic part on the right side of the heater, where the input & output are connected to, to drain. That said... I may or not be remembering correctly. Well, here I am today, sitting in a colder Richmond Texas than I expected -- I thought the below-freezing temps were coming later tonight.

So, here's the primary question -- given that my system has kicked into freeze protection mode, which means the pump is on all the time, swapping between pool & spa mode, do I actually need to drain the heater? I tried... I pulled the pressure relieve valve port first... water gushing everywhere with no end in sight. I presume that's because the pump is on. Next, I put that back in and then pulled the drain plug instead -- same results -- water coming out with no end in sight. So I put that back on too.

My assumption at this point is that because the pump is always on via freeze protection, that #1 I couldn't empty the heater if I tried, & #2 I don't need to as long as I have power, because water is constantly flowing through it. Can somebody please validate or correct my thinking?

Last edited:
At this point you are pot-committed to allowing water to run through it until or unless you can properly winterize the heater. This includes draining ALL water out. Looking at your pic, you have no way to isolate the heater meaning you would have to winterize all of your equipment. Let the freeze-protect do its thing.

For next winter, plumb in a heater bypass valve so you can isolate the heater and do whatever you want with it while keeping your pool pump on. Looks like you have plenty of space next to the heater for a 3-way diverter and a check valve.

I don't remember if I winterized my heater last year. I feel like I did, and I think what that consisted of is turning gas off to the heater and then pulling the drain plug allowing the plastic part on the right side of the heater, where the input & output are connected to, to drain. That said... I may or not be remembering correctly. Well, here I am today, sitting in a colder Richmond Texas than I expected -- I thought the below-freezing temps were coming later tonight.

So, here's the primary question -- given that my system has kicked into freeze protection mode, which means the pump is on all the time, swapping between pool & spa mode, do I actually need to drain the heater? I tried... I pulled the pressure relieve valve port first... water gushing everywhere with no end in sight. I presume that's because the pump is on. Next, I put that back in and then pulled the drain plug instead -- same results -- water coming out with no end in sight. So I put that back on too.

My assumption at this point is that because the pump is always on via freeze protection, that #1 I couldn't empty the heater if I tried, & #2 I don't need to as long as I have power, because water is constantly flowing through it. Can somebody please validate or correct my thinking?
Have your equipment running at night at least from 2:00AM on for 6 or 8 hours and you should be fine. Those are considered the normal "freezing" hours. That way you don't have to depend on freeze protection from the automation to handle it. If it stays cold or gets cold earlier or later, freeze protection should be able to handle it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.