Hayward 400k gas heater

artd

Jun 7, 2008
new jersey
Having a bad year for pools so far, actually a carryover from last season. My in-ground pool has an attached spa that that only heats to a certain point regardless of what I have it set at...about 90-95 degrees. it usually goes to 80 and maintains that but no more. Can someone narrow down a possible cause, I assume it's a sensor of some type. Thanks

If you look up your heater model online at the Hayward website, you can likely find a copy of the user manual. The user manual usually has a diagnostic procedure in it for various types of failures. Most gas heaters have a thermistor that reads the intake temperature of the water. Thermistors can and do go bad with age where they no longer accurately change resistance with temperature. Your fix may be as simple as just changing out a thermistor. Also, even if the heater is no longer under warranty, you can still call Hayward’s technical support line and they'll usually give you a few things you can try to do. Once you narrow it down to what the likely problem is, you can figure out if it’s something you can fix yourself or call in a professional for.

A heater that size is going to cost $2500-$3500 to buy new install (subject to local pricing). So it may be worth a little time and effort to see if there’s a cheap fix.

If you look up your heater model online at the Hayward website, you can likely find a copy of the user manual. The user manual usually has a diagnostic procedure in it for various types of failures. Most gas heaters have a thermistor that reads the intake temperature of the water. Thermistors can and do go bad with age where they no longer accurately change resistance with temperature. Your fix may be as simple as just changing out a thermistor. Also, even if the heater is no longer under warranty, you can still call Hayward’s technical support line and they'll usually give you a few things you can try to do. Once you narrow it down to what the likely problem is, you can figure out if it’s something you can fix yourself or call in a professional for.

A heater that size is going to cost $2500-$3500 to buy new install (subject to local pricing). So it may be worth a little time and effort to see if there’s a cheap fix.
thank you, makes sense. I did change out the thermistor last season for another issue but then this started. I do have the manual and will surely contact Hayward for advise. thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.