Hayward 3-Way Valve Leaking on one side?

Van G

Bronze Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Toronto
I've got Hayward 3-Way valve with GVA-24 Actuators and the return/pressure side leaks slightly when in the SPA position causing air to get into the pump and dropping the water level.

When the valve is in the pool position (90% pool/10% spa) I can't see any leaking and no air in the pump but assume that is because it's only 10% on the spa side.

Suction valve is dry and working normally.

Could I get some suggestions on how to troubleshoot and likely scenarios?

I've got Hayward 3-Way valve with GVA-24 Actuators and the return/pressure side leaks slightly when in the SPA position causing air to get into the pump and dropping the water level.
A picture would help. Is this an internal bypass seal leak or an external leak out of the top?
Removing the screws on top and replacing the stem and seal face is easy to do.

Actually, the way it is written, is that when in SPA mode, meaning the pool suction inlet is shut off and suction only from the spa that there could be a blockage in the spa suction line which causes the level in the pump to decrease. Once you open it back up to the pool suction there is sufficient water to keep the pump basket full.

Correct, when in spa mode (pool suction and return both closed) the water level in pump drops and there is a drip from the valve.

When in pool mode the pump water level is right upto the top.

Didn't think of a blockage? Assumed it was some sort of leak.

When I take the valve top off, what should I be looking for?

• Remove the handle from the valve.
  • Remove the four screws that hold the actuator onto the diverter
  • Pull the actuator off the diverter
  • put the handle back on the valve so you can move it manually
  • Turn on the pump and move the valve and see where it is leaking
  • Leaks from the diverter usually come from the O ring on the stem.
You have a Hayward actuator but is it on a Jandy, Hayward or Pentair diverter valve? You need to know the correct diverter to get the correct O ring replacement.

Post pics of the valve and handle.

Reactions: HermanTX

When the valve is in the pool position (90% pool/10% spa) I can't see any leaking and no air in the pump but assume that is because it's only 10% on the spa side.

Suction valve is dry and working normally.

Could I get some suggestions on how to troubleshoot and likely scenarios?
A leak on the return side of the plumbing, as at that valve, will not cause air to enter the pump. It is under pressure, that's why it is leaking water. When on the "spa" side, the flow through the system is reduced due to the size of the orifices in the jets. This can cause the pump to not fill completely as it can't move the water fast enough to evacuate all the air that is in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.