Hayward 1.5HP In Ground Pool Replacement

james-m

Gold Supporter
Sep 5, 2016
New York
It's been a few years since I looked into pumps, but my 1.5HP Hayward Super Pump (C48L2N134B1, single speed, service factor 1.0, rpm 3450) is making "I am about to go" noises.

I looked for the replacement, but it seems it is discontinued. There are separate motors that I can buy, but replacing the motor is not less difficult than replacing the pump itself, so I am looking to get a new pump.

Which pumps are considered to be "solid" nowadays (2023)? And what could be a replacement. For example I see Rx Clear Ultimate Niagara but from the comments it only works for about a year. There is something called FibroPool 1.5HP that seem to have good reviews, but it says "In Ground" in the title and "Above Ground" in the description.

Any ideas, pointers would really help, thank you!

It's been a few years since I looked into pumps, but my 1.5HP Hayward Super Pump (C48L2N134B1, single speed, service factor 1.0, rpm 3450) is making "I am about to go" noises.

I looked for the replacement, but it seems it is discontinued. There are separate motors that I can buy, but replacing the motor is not less difficult than replacing the pump itself, so I am looking to get a new pump.

Which pumps are considered to be "solid" nowadays (2023)? And what could be a replacement. For example I see Rx Clear Ultimate Niagara but from the comments it only works for about a year. There is something called FibroPool 1.5HP that seem to have good reviews, but it says "In Ground" in the title and "Above Ground" in the description.

Any ideas, pointers would really help, thank you!
Do you have automation? What kind?

It is easier to replace a motor than to re-plumb the system to accommodate a different brand pump. Without automation, a Nidec Neptune NPTT225 motor with a GO Kit 3 would turn your pump into a VSP. Programming is relatively easy on those motors. The company says to call them for the communication protocol for automation systems.

Hayward makes a "power end" for that pump to turn it into a VSP, SPX2603Z1VSPE. It would work with Hayward automation though it can be used with relay inputs and any other brand. Cost is twice the Neptune motor.

You would pull the power, unbolt the sealplate with the old motor and remove it, slide the new one in, replace the bolts and hook up power. The programming of a Hayward VSP is very easy.

> Do you have automation? What kind?
not sure what you mean by "automation". the pump turns on and off automatically by the timer.
it is not variable speed, and I am not looking for a variable speed, since I need "1.5HP / service factor 1.0" to run for 8 hours (constant speed)

the closest analogy I see from Hayward is "W3SP2610X15", but it costs $1,200+, while the one I need to replace was $350.

> It is easier to replace a motor than to re-plumb the system to accommodate a different brand pump

this is a good recommendation. so you think I am better off buying something like this vs. rx clear (which claims to be a drop in replacement of hayward super pump)?

am not looking for a variable speed, since I need "1.5HP / service factor 1.0" to run for 8 hours (constant speed)
I highly suggest you consider it.

I like this 3 HP for $519. It'll move considerably more water meaning you can run it that much slower, literally paying for itself several times over in energy savings.

It's worth the replumb IMO and we can walk you through it.

Reactions: 1poolman1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.