Hayward 1.5 dual speed Super Pump issue

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Hey all,

I just had the pump motor replaced. Same one which was about three years old.

It is a Hayward 1.5 dual speed Super Pump.

I never noticed this on the old one but ever since the replacement, the pump seems to be fluctuating between 1.5 and .5 on its own.

At least that is what it looks like is happening. The Jets will randomly barely look like they are pushing water for a few minutes and then they will pick back up. It seems to be pretty random.

No air in the gasket or anything unusual that I can see. I'm going to backwash later.

Just want to know if these pumps do something like that on their own schedule or if maybe they can be wired that way? I really just want it to run at 1.5 consistently. If I want it to run slower I'll push the button :)
Assuming that is what is happening and it is not something else.....

Thanks a lot in advance

You should be able to tell by the sound of the motor which speed it is running and whether it is switching. It should not be switching back and forth by itself.

Also usually people run them on low speed most of the time and only on high speed when needed for backwashing or vacuuming or solar heating etc

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.