Hawyard pump won't start (2 year old only)

Pool-owner

Jul 12, 2015
Edison/NJ
Hi Mates:

We have a Hayward pump with 1 HP. It is only 2-3 yrs old. But it wouldn't start this season right after we opened the pool. I covered it well for the winter. I understand pumps/motors should last a lot longer.
Also the circuit would trip every time when we try to power it on. It didn't make any noise at all. Only the timer and the circuit box would make some light humming noise for a few seconds, and the circuit tripped.
Does it sound like a capacitor issue that we can replace? Or must I replace it?
I am just puzzled why it stopped working so quickly considering the average life of pumps/motors are a lot longer.
Any insight would be appreciated!

Attachments

• image1 (3).jpeg
    image1 (3).jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0858 (1).jpg
    IMG_0858 (1).jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 17
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 10
Will the motor spin by using a wrench or some other tool? Sometimes the motor/pump get 'stuck' over winter and need a little help.

The motor was made October 22 2013.

That makes it more than 5 years old. Unfortunately, that's about all you get out of the current motors. The new motors don't last as long as they used to due to cheaper materials.

When was it installed?

Can you spin the impeller or shaft by hand?

If you remove the pump basket, you can feel the impeller through the hole to see if it spins.

Make sure that the power is off at the breaker and all switches before feeling the impeller.

If it's seized, you have to break it loose from the back or by opening the pump and spinning the impeller clockwise.

If it spins freely, try replacing the capacitor.

The tab feeder will create a very corrosive toxic environment for the pump whenever the pump is off and there are tabs in the feeder. I would not leave tabs in the feeder when the pump is off.

Note: The tabs feeder is backwards with the inlet and outlet reversed.

The seal might have failed causing a leak that can get water in the motor.

If water gets in the motor, the motor will fail very quickly.

Last edited:
Will the motor spin by using a wrench or some other tool? Sometimes the motor/pump get 'stuck' over winter and need a little help.

Thanks for the response!

I was able to spin the impeller on my last motor but this time it seemed to have nothing I can hold on to. I will try again tonight with a longer tool. But since it does not make any noise at all, I was told that it is likely to be dead (burnt somewhere inside).

If I am to replace it, would the Hayward (SP2610X15 Super Inground Pool Pump, 115/230V, 1.5HP ) be a good choice? The pump is a few years older than the motor. Instead of replacing the motor only, it makes sense to replace the whole pump. I had a 1 HP pump now. Since I am running the kreepy cauly too, would 1.5 HP increase the suction power?

Are you even sure that power is getting to the motor?

You might have a problem at the timer or switch.

Note that the motor is over 5 years old and it's a replacement motor. So, the pump is even older than 5 years. You can check the pump age from the pump serial number.

You should check to see if voltage is getting to the pump.

Last edited:
+++ Thanks James. Please see my comments below.

The motor was made October 22 2013.

+++ Yes I see that. But I vividly remember that it was installed about 3 years ago at the most. The pool company just could have sold me old inventory.

That makes it more than 5 years old. Unfortunately, that's about all you get out of the current motors. The new motors don't last as long as they used to due to cheaper materials.

++++ Now I know what happend - it is rust and corrosion at the bottom! See my photo below. Please see my questions about how to prevent corrosion. Aren't pumps built for outdoor use?

When was it installed?

++++ 3 years ago.

Can you spin the impeller or shaft by hand?

+++ No, it is stuck pretty bad even after I took it apart!

If you remove the pump basket, you can feel the impeller through the hole to see if it spins.

Make sure that the power is off at the breaker and all switches before feeling the impeller.

If it's seized, you have to break it loose from the back or by opening the pump and spinning the impeller clockwise.

If it spins freely, try replacing the capacitor.

The tab feeder will create a very corrosive toxic environment for the pump whenever the pump is off and there are tabs in the feeder. I would not leave tabs in the feeder when the pump is off.

Note: The tabs feeder is backwards with the inlet and outlet reversed.

The seal might have failed causing a leak that can get water in the motor.

If water gets in the motor, the motor will fail very quickly.

*++++ Yes, but how to prevent it from happening. What are other people doing?

Hi Mates:

It took me a while (I am pretty mechanically challenged) but I took the motor out and found the culprit - corrosion. See photo. I assume it is safe to assume that that's cause of the failure. The motor is now sitting on a thin plastic platform and dirt, water, etc., could sipped thru it to the bottom.

My questions are:

1) Somehow I thought these pumps are built for outdoor use. But maybe not the motor. I was thinking about the pump I use for the pool cover. It never gets rusty. In our region, there is always rain and water during the winter season. That could be the reason for the corrosion.

2) What do people do to protect the motor? I am thinking about replacing the pump as well (maybe a Hayward 1.5 superpump). Hence, can I ask the pool company to raise the plumbing so that the motor is farther up from the ground. Would that help?

3) I can also move the motor indoor. Work space was tight around the motor but I manged to take out the 4 nuts to the pump. But I had problems removing the wires with round connectors from the narrow cable opening. I didn't want to yank them out. See the photo. Is moving it indoor done by others too? Any tips as to how I may get the 3 cables out safely

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Attachments

• IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 17
I stand corrected. We checked again the motor was replaced about 4 yrs ago. We started to do pool opening and closing after that. I guess I lost track of the time.

The pool company said the internet pumps did not come with warranty. He uses expert Line pump which has a better seal and 2 year warranty. A 1-1/2 hp Super Pump 700 is $525.00. Labor is $250 and up.

Since we are replacing the whole pump (which is even older than the motor), I will ask them to try to raise the pump up from the ground. I am thinking about using a couple of cinder blocks as foundation. Would that work? Or not stable enough? Any suggestions?

I would suggest a 1 HP 2 speed pump or a variable speed pump. SP2607X102S. You don’t need more than 1 HP. The two speed pump take 240 volts, so make sure before getting the two speed or variable speed.

Edit – It looks like your old pump is set to 115 volts.

Definitely raise the pump off of the ground as they can’t take any moisture without being corroded.

If you use a block, make sure that it’s stable and wont rock around. Maybe just pour a little pad for it to sit on as that would be more stable.

The SuperPump 700 (SP2670010X15) uses a totally enclosed fan-cooled (TEFC) motor, which is supposed to be a better quality motor, and probably is.

However, at full speed, the back mounted fan is a little bit annoying (in my opinion).

All variable speed motors have a TEFC motor, but you can run them on lower speed where the back fan noise isn’t bad.

Somewhere around 2,800 rpm, the motor begins to get annoyingly loud.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.