Having to chlorinate everyday - is that normal?

Skurzban

Silver Supporter
Jul 3, 2020
West Hills, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi - I have to add chlorine everyday just to maintain at least 2.0 FC - which seems too frequent. I use mostly liquid chlorine but sometimes use powder without CYA. Background: CYA is high (90) but I am managing that down, pH is 7.7, TA: 100, phosphates are low (<100). Temp is high 80s and I use a solar cover which covers the pool all of the time except when swimming. Pool is 17000 gallons but has no deep end - average depth is about 4 - 4.5 ft. If I do not keep chlorine over at least 2.0 I start to get mustard colored algae growth in some areas. Higher chlorine levels keep that from coming back. When the pool is cold in the winter I only need to chlorinate once per week if that, but in the summer it's a daily function to avoid algae growth - is this normal?

Welcome to the forum!
Replenishing the FC in your water during summer is a daily requirement. Your solar cover reduces the FC loss, but does not eliminate it.
I suggest you do some reading in Pool School. If your CYA is 90, your FC of 2 is very low. See FC/CYA Levels
How are you testing your pool water chemistry?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
Replenishing the FC in your water during summer is a daily requirement. Your solar cover reduces the FC loss, but does not eliminate it.
I suggest you do some reading in Pool School. If your CYA is 90, your FC of 2 is very low. See FC/CYA Levels
How are you testing your pool water chemistry?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thank you - still coming around to this as I have been managing the "pool store way" for a long time so a FC level of 7 - 10 makes me cringe - but I am getting there. Question - if i get it to 10 with a CYA of 90, would it remain there longer than when it is lower or would it be the same daily add?

You will lose about the same FC each day. But at least the pool water will be sanitary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.