Having to add ph reducer daily

ivparker

Bronze Supporter
Aug 28, 2016
Byron Center, MI
New pool owner. I do have a swg so know that tends to make your ph high. Our ph seems to rise up to 8.0-8.2 daily. Some days it’s only 7.8. We use the Taylor t-100 kit and a ph tester we also bought from tfp. So we are adding about 2 lbs of ph reducer, it feels, a day. Our pb said just to put a capful a week without even testing. But we are testing and doing our own thing. So is this normal? Our fc is high for our cya. Cya only at 20 with fc at 4 or 5 usually. Not sure if our low cya can effect our ph. Crystal clear water and everything seems good, other then adding ph reducer. By the way, we are still trying to decide what to do with cya. Our pool builder put this endure summer stuff in our water that acts like a cya but does not show up on tests, what he said. So we aren’t sure if we should increase our cya too much because there is supposedly some “ fake” stuff in it. He said it’s not good for the glass filter to have to high cya.

Can you post a full set of test results? A high TA will push pH higher. SWCG has little effect.

You should not be using dry acid if you have a SWCG. The sulfates in the dry acid will damage your SWCG.

Also, Endure is borates. Has nothing to do with CYA. I would suggest you add some CYA though at this time of year there is not a need to go up to the 70 ppm CYA we would recommend with a SWCG. I would suggest you raise it to 40 or 50 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.