Having some trouble this year

nuce70

Jul 18, 2014
Deptford, NJ
I've been following this site for a few years with great results. This year I had to replace my liner so when I refilled my pool I got my CYA up to 30 and I keep my FC at 5 to 6.

I have had issues with cloudy water twice this year. I get 4 weeks of perfect water, then it starts to get cloudy and then I get the green film on the bottom. So I SLAM the pool, then all is good. About 4 weeks go by and now the same thing. I am in the middle of SLAMing it again, but if I keep the FC levels correct I shouldn't have to SLAM. Could my CYA be too low, it is at the lower end if the acceptable range.

Any suggestions would be great

Try testing your FC at different times during the day to be sure you never go below minimum. With a low CYA you are not shielding the chlorine from the sun as much and you could be dropping in the late afternoon to levels that allow algae to grow.

Also check your ladder, steps, etc for any hidden algae.

Good luck.

Below the minimum. But best to use the Target as your minimum. That way if a flock of birds goes over one day you do not have an issue of high organic load dropping you below minimum.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.