Kannin001

Apr 15, 2022
Ontario
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
New to running a pool as of this year, opened it early due to old owners tarp falling off and there was so much garbage in it, I have shocked regularly chlorine fac is good total chlorine is good, water is starting to clear not cloudy anymore but not crystal, I however cannot for the life of me bring the ph down and alkalinity up, using hth test strips that tests fac tci alk ph th cya, the old owners had a stack of chemicals in the garage I was getting a ph of 8.4 to 9.0 and alk was at a good level, I started adding the ph reducer they had and ph stays the same but alk dropped significantly to about 40 I have a bucket of alk plus but it's going to increase my ph so question is how do I go about balancing them? Do I just focus on getting ph down to proper levels then start adding the Alka plus? But won't that in turn increase my p.h to unhealthy levels? Seems like a vicous battle that I'm losing any tips would be appreciated

Unfortunately those strips have you chasing your tail right now. They stink. You need a reliable test kit for home use. Either a TF-100 (available south of the border if you can) or a Taylor K-2006C. There are vendors in the Great White North for the Taylor, but they are pricey. But you must have one or the other. Other test methods and store products are simply a waste of money and time.

Let us know if you have any questions about the test kits or how to obtain one. With a full set of results from one of those we can help you very well. See the link below for more info.

Reactions: mcba2020
Okay cool, I'll look into those, is my pool safe for now? Could I bring a sample to my pool store until I can get one of these test kits? And are they likely to have a better testing system then I do?

At the very least, your local store "should" be able to give you a reliable pH test. Just about everything else is questionable. For now, try to keep the pH in the mid 7 range. Use muriatic acid to lower the pH. Dry acid (pH Down) is over-priced has some unwanted side effects over time.

Also be sure to add liquid chlorine to the water each day to try and maintain some sort of FC level around 5 ppm or so. Our PoolMath APP is very helpful with dosage amounts. But don't try to combine pool store methods with TFP. Just try and stall until you get your test kit.

Kk I use pucks now and it seems to be keeping the chlorine at all right levels is it ok to leave the pool at what it is for now or are the effects of a high ph very fast acting?

I will work on my signature as soon as I get home, can I use the muriatic acid and the test strips I have for now to get the ph down? Until I can get a better testing kit?

Just a little update my wife just called me and said she found a test kit in the garage that has 2 bottles of liquid and a plastic test cup with numbers on it, I'm imagining this is going to be a much better test then the hth strips?

I use pucks now and it seems to be keeping the chlorine at all right levels is it ok to leave the pool at what it is for now or are the effects of a high ph very fast acting?
Pucks have their place but can cause problems very quickly. They are stabilized which means they increase your CYA level quickly. The higher your CYA the higher your FC needs to be to keep up as you can see on the FC/CYA Levels. If not balanced per that chart - algae. You definitely want the pH in the 7.2 - 7.8 range for safe swimming.

I will work on my signature as soon as I get home, can I use the muriatic acid and the test strips I have for now to get the ph down? Until I can get a better testing kit?
We see your signature now. :goodjob: You might also add the items at your equipment pad (type filter, pump, etc). Test strips are simply horrible. If you have a local store like we have Walmart's down here, you might find a cheap pH drop-test kit for a few bucks. Use that for pH until you get the correct kit.

Just a little update my wife just called me and said she found a test kit in the garage that has 2 bottles of liquid and a plastic test cup with numbers on it, I'm imagining this is going to be a much better test then the hth strips?
Oh, okay. Probably so. You can post a pic of what you found and we can see if it will help. As long as they reagents are not older than a year or so and/or left out in the heat or exposed to sunlight they might still be good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pucks have their place but can cause problems very quickly. They are stabilized which means they increase your CYA level quickly. The higher your CYA the higher your FC needs to be to keep up as you can see on the FC/CYA Levels. If not balanced per that chart - algae. You definitely want the pH in the 7.2 - 7.8 range for safe swimming.

We see your signature now. :goodjob: You might also add the items at your equipment pad (type filter, pump, etc). Test strips are simply horrible. If you have a local store like we have Walmart's down here, you might find a cheap pH drop-test kit for a few bucks. Use that for pH until you get the correct kit.

Oh, okay. Probably so. You can post a pic of what you found and we can see if it will help. As long as they reagents are not older than a year or so and/or left out in the heat or exposed to sunlight they might still be good.
I have lucks with no stabilizer in them, my pool store has a pool master 5 way test kit I will pick up for now until I can get the 300$ kit lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.