Having difficulty getting my cya to at least 30

Counselor4444

Jun 22, 2020
West Orange, NJ
Hi everyone,
I followed recommendations here and added 2 lb of 1" trichloro tablets. When doing a cya test, the liquid in the test tube is cloudy (used to be clear when I started) but I can still see the black eyeball at the bottom. So I don't think I'm at 30 yet since I can still see the black dot. Should I add more tablets? I have been adding liquid chlorine when needed. Numbers have fluctuated from 1-5 but I have luckily kept the water clear. Thanks

I also want to add that my pH is still high at around 8. It still tested bright pink. We have very hard water and once we get the cya figured out I really want to address this because I know it's going to do a number on the pump if I don't. I've tried pH down and muriatic acid and it hasn't gone down.

Welcome to TFP

That's one way to get your CYA up but not recommend since you add CYA, FC and depress the pH a LOT at the same time. And the tablets will take at least a week to dissolve. Better to buy some CYA granules and use the sock method. It'll be dissolved in about 2 days. The tablets you added will eventually add 15 ppm CYA. PH drop is very high (over 1 pH unit). I'd remove the tablets and then look at this article for balancing your pool ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. We adjust different chemicals independently so you don't have to juggle with undesired result of using trichlor.

Please ask any questions you may have and you'll get quick expert help. Plus we don't sell anything so you can be confident our responses aren't conflicted.

Chris

Forgot to mention you'll need an approved test kit to use TFP methods. We recommend two different brands but you really need one of the two. Test strips are worthless in my opinion and worst for measuring CYA. I've been doing this 6 years and have yet to get a readable result that was within 90% of actual.Test Kits Compared

I hope this all helps. If you decide to use TFP methods I'm sure it will work as well for you as it did for me past 6 years. I've had a sparkling pool at dirt cheap cost with generic chemicals the entire time. Still using the same kit I bought initially with several refills. I bought the TF 100 but with your smaller pool and shorter season the Taylor K-2006c may be a better choice for you.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.