Having a real hard time with my new pool

That will be true when the OP gets a proper test kit and can measure the FC in the pool water. Right now, they cannot do that. So adding 5 ppm FC per day is suggested to keep things from turning south while waiting on the test kit.
You read my post before I finished writing it. You have officially bent the space time continuum.

Reactions: mknauss
John, I did the math. For a 17,000gallon pool-

22 ounces of 10% Liquid Chlorine, such as you buy at Walmart in the pool section, will give you 1ppm of FC.
109 ounces of 10% Liquid Chlorine will give you 5ppm of FC

These figures will remain stable because they're based on 17,000 gallons.

If you find you over or under shoot your goal, it generally means your pool is either bigger or smaller than you thought. Its common to have to tweak our projected pool volume at first until we get it down.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: johnbaker26
Hello,

This seems like a great forum so glad I found it!

So we bought a home with a 20,000 gallon in ground pool. We drained it over the winter and had it refinished. I refilled it about 3 weeks ago using our local tap water. So we put some bleach pellets in it once it was full that the previous owners had left behind, but i'm guessing not enough since the pool turned green. So I turned to my good friend amazon and bought a device called PoolRX had good reviews and supposedly was all we would need for the next 6 months. Or at least that is what I got from the ad. So bought one and threw it in the skimmer, and wow the pool turned blue almost right away and looked nice. But next morning copper looking deposits formed and were staining the bottom, so I took it out, took a water sample down to our local Leslie pools to have tested. They sent me home with metal remover and some acid wash. This seemed to have no effect though I can clean the stains right off with a lemon but the stains remain in the pool and have gotten worse despite the solutions they sold me.
So I took a new sample to them and they sent me home with many chemicals. Now my pool is green again and the stains are still there, the parts I cleaned with a cut lemon are stained again as well. I'm hesitating going back to Leslies as all they are going to do is test my water, and sell me even more chemicals that so far have done nothing to resolve my issues, and may have in fact created more. So i'm starting to think that was 300 dollars down the drain.

Here is the results from my latest test from today:View attachment 323902
'

Here is a photo of the stains:

View attachment 323892

And the current state my pool is in: View attachment 323897
Hang in there! I was in the same shoes when we bought our house, I knew nothing about pools except what the pool store told me. First year was frustrated and all learning! Get the test kit, and read read read on this site. It will be so worth it in the years to come!

John, I did the math. For a 17,000gallon pool-

22 ounces of 10% Liquid Chlorine, such as you buy at Walmart in the pool section, will give you 1ppm of FC.
109 ounces of 10% Liquid Chlorine will give you 5ppm of FC

These figures will remain stable because they're based on 17,000 gallons.

If you find you over or under shoot your goal, it generally means your pool is either bigger or smaller than you thought. Its common to have to tweak our projected pool volume at first until we get it down.

Thanks so much Maddie, I actually put in two bottles of Bleach which at an effective chlorine of 7.13 which totaled 160oz. So I maybe have overdone it a bit? So until I get my test kit in the mail, should I put this amount in every day??

How big are the bottles? A jug of plain, unscented, non-thickened, Non-Clorox product bleach is usually now 121 ounces. Slightly more than 5ppm for you.
Extra above what you need may just burn off if its so much over what your CYA will "hold" on to. So it could just be a waste of greenbacks, y'know?
It does look nice though! I think 1 jug is enough.

John, for future reference since youre new to this, we have similar size pools (18,500) and I use 1 gallon of 10% PER day....yes everyday I have to pour a jug in. My pool is in full sun all day and I will will burn through 3-4 ppm of chlorine daily (between Jun-Aug). I run my FC on the higher side and once you have your CYA brought up, you will find what works best for you. Just remember, pool maintenance is a daily requirement, not once a week.

Reactions: Newdude
When you learn your pool's personality the daily testing may allow you to skip a day.... I have a SWG so I don't test daily. But I look at the water daily from my kitchen window and can see immediately if it needs attention.
For example- when my water looks clear but slightly dull in shine, I know my pH is off. I test it and yup! It needs adjustment.

It all comes down to learning your pool's traits. I've studied mine for almost 10 years now. You'll get there ;)

Reactions: Casey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To the OP:
I’m new to all of this also and can't really add anything to help you with the pool but wanted to chime in and say you're in good hands with the good folks here. They'll will steer you in the right direction.
If you update your signature with as much detail about your pool and pool equipment as possible, it will help them help you when you have questions. Also, the $8 a year for pool math app is so very worth as is the smart stir Newdude mentioned. And if you have some time, read through some of the other forum posts in addition to the pool school, and you’ll learn quite a bit.
BTW, I too used Pool Rx three summers ago on the recommendation of my pool guy and I got stains on the bottom of the pool. I didn't correlate the stains with the Pool Rx so I again bought a new one the following summer and noticed that my filters were stained green when I went to clean them. Needless to say I am here and no longer have a pool maintenance person.

Most of us have "been there" with following the pool store advice and using "guess strips". I started the TFP process in 2019, after 12 years with the pool store magic potions and lots of money spent. I screwed up my CYA (again!) trying to use up my Trichlor pool tabs (see Devil's pool candy) and didn't want to drain the pool AGAIN in the middle of summer. So I suffered another year with my Mustard algae.

2020 was my year of full conversion. I drained the pool, set my CYA right. Had my proper test kit and used mostly cal-hypo (dry shock) for chlorine. I needed to raise my CH (calcium harness) so this was a good way to go. The pool was clean. No algae. I then went ahead and started fixing all of the things I had skipped for a few years (lights, etc.). And after I spent about 4.5 months really learning my pool, I installed a Salt Water Chlorine Generator and bought a pool robot.

I now spend more time enjoying my pool instead of fighting my pool and spending my money on the pool.

Hey guys got the kit in the mail and need help with it. First thing I did was the Chlorine test. 10ML of pool water and a heaping spoon of R-087 like the instructions said. it turned very light pink just need one drop and it is clear again. The question is when it sits for about 5 minutes it turns pink again. add one drop and back clear, let sit for about 5 more minutes, its pink again. So how long do you wait for the color to change to get the proper reading?

If you let it sit long enough it will always go back to pink. You run the test then read the result, and that is the final answer. As Marty said, run the CC test on that same sample next, read the result and discard.

Reactions: johnbaker26
Put the chlorine in at the end of the day, after the sun is off the pool. Pour it in with the pumps running and then test an hour later. Then test again in the morning. And then test again as soon as the light is off the pool in the evening. You are just testing the FC & CC.

Night reading
Morning reading
Evening reading

You will see if you lose anything over night. If so, something is eating the chlorine. 0.5 FC loss overnight is OK. You will also then see how much FC you lose during the day. This is how much FC addition you will need to do each day. Get in the habit of pouring in the liquid chlorine at night, so that it is high strength all night long. For a while, you'll need to test FC & pH each evening, and then add. After a while, you will know you need to add about "X" amount each day.

If you raise your CYA, your target FC will go up as well. But your chlorine addition will be lower. The rest of the tests, TA, CH, CYA, you only run them once in a while or if you are making changes.

FC target for CYA level.

For most people, 30 CYA is generally enough. In Texas, many people run higher CYA to reduce chlorine usage. Whatever you choose, go slowly on the CYA additions. And make sure you are adding enough liquid chlorine so that your FC is on target at the END of the DAY.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.