Have lagoon, seeking Creature

Jul 30, 2007
This year for the first time I can't get pool to blue. Pool store tests say chemicals fine, replaced sand in filter, had pool guy out for consult. Everyone mystified. Running filter about 20 hours a day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1375466241.304673.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1375466241.304673.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 298
I nominate Richard for the creature!

Yep, those pool test results must be right on the money! As soon as they told me that, I'd have showed them a pic and said, "Really"?

And .... Still unreliable pool store test results.

If true, your CYA is way too high and your FC is way too low. Have you read the ABCs article at the top of Pool School?

Just today someone found out that while the pool store said his CYA was 155, once he did his own test (after working hard to reduce it) it turned out it was closer to 30 and he didn't need to do anything. Much more often we have found pool store CYA tests to be way lower than actual. It's to the point where I won't give advice based on pool store results.

Bottom line: Pool Store test results aren't worth a wooden nickel. If you want something done right, get your own test kit.

And I am going to resist saying some not-nice things about the pool store employees. Suffice to say that they say your FC is less than 2 and your CYA is more than 100, and they are mystified that you have a green pool? :brickwall:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The TF-100 it will walk you thru. CYA test isn't reliable over 100 in any event and I bet you a cold frosty one the pool store didnt dilute then do the test to get a proper result. CYA could be north of 200.

Do yourself a HUGE favor. Stay away from the pool store and order a TF-100. We will walk you through the rest.

Yep......get the TF-100 would be my advice as well. Yes....it is an expense up front but you will save so much in the long run. Pool chemistry is not rocket science as I've learned here. Follow the directions and listen to advice here and you won't be blindly buying what the pool store wants to sell you. You might not get it all on day one or two but if you test your own water and read pool school you WILL "get it" and then? You will be in control of your own sparkling pool. I promise.

Look in Donaldson's signature lines and click on where he has "test kits." Order the TF100 extra large option since it is clear you will be SLAMming the pool and thus needing more volume of the reagents than for clear pool maintenance. Getting your own reliable test kit and investing the time to read here will serve you very well and you will be amazed at the results. Going through the SLAM process is nobody's wish, but by the end of it you will have a great understanding of how to test, why to test, and what to do with the test results. That knowledge, a great test kit, and a trip to the grocery store for chemicals is all that is needed to get and then keep a sparkly clear pool. Congrats on making the decision to stick around! Post back with questions as needed - we love seeing these success stories in action, especially with photos!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.