Have lagoon, seeking Creature

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Time to buy a REAL test kit of your own. See my siggy to find the link to them.

It can be done and for cheaper than you every thought!

Kim

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Have lagoon, seeking Creature
Very good! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Every water quality issue we address here begins and ends with accurate testing.

Since you don't yet do your own testing, do you have available the most recent test results taken?

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
I nominate Richard for the creature!

Yep, those pool test results must be right on the money! As soon as they told me that, I'd have showed them a pic and said, "Really"?

GraceLS

Jul 30, 2007
Latest test results

Total and free chlorine 1.8
Ph 7.7
Alkalinity 120
Calcium 275
Stabilizer 120
Phosphate 1000

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
And .... Still unreliable pool store test results.

If true, your CYA is way too high and your FC is way too low. Have you read the ABCs article at the top of Pool School?

Donldson

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio
Just today someone found out that while the pool store said his CYA was 155, once he did his own test (after working hard to reduce it) it turned out it was closer to 30 and he didn't need to do anything. Much more often we have found pool store CYA tests to be way lower than actual. It's to the point where I won't give advice based on pool store results.

Bottom line: Pool Store test results aren't worth a wooden nickel. If you want something done right, get your own test kit.

And I am going to resist saying some not-nice things about the pool store employees. Suffice to say that they say your FC is less than 2 and your CYA is more than 100, and they are mystified that you have a green pool? :brickwall:

GraceLS

Jul 30, 2007
Chemistry not being my strength, can y'all recommend a test kit that is fairly simple? I have the kind that measures chlorine and Ph.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JohnN

Jun 24, 2012
Howell, NJ
Either the K-2006 or TF-100, the TF-100 being the better value. Since you live in California, you may be better ordering from poolsupplyworld.vom

karmabiker

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 28, 2013
Houston, TX
The TF-100 it will walk you thru. CYA test isn't reliable over 100 in any event and I bet you a cold frosty one the pool store didnt dilute then do the test to get a proper result. CYA could be north of 200.

Do yourself a HUGE favor. Stay away from the pool store and order a TF-100. We will walk you through the rest.

AimeeH

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 2, 2012
Columbia SC
Yep......get the TF-100 would be my advice as well. Yes....it is an expense up front but you will save so much in the long run. Pool chemistry is not rocket science as I've learned here. Follow the directions and listen to advice here and you won't be blindly buying what the pool store wants to sell you. You might not get it all on day one or two but if you test your own water and read pool school you WILL "get it" and then? You will be in control of your own sparkling pool. I promise.

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
Look in Donaldson's signature lines and click on where he has "test kits." Order the TF100 extra large option since it is clear you will be SLAMming the pool and thus needing more volume of the reagents than for clear pool maintenance. Getting your own reliable test kit and investing the time to read here will serve you very well and you will be amazed at the results. Going through the SLAM process is nobody's wish, but by the end of it you will have a great understanding of how to test, why to test, and what to do with the test results. That knowledge, a great test kit, and a trip to the grocery store for chemicals is all that is needed to get and then keep a sparkly clear pool. Congrats on making the decision to stick around! Post back with questions as needed - we love seeing these success stories in action, especially with photos!!