Have I been doing it wrong?

We just set up and filled our above ground pool. We start over every year. I’ve been using the Trouble Free Pool guidelines for about 8 years. We use our well water to fill our pool. So we start with 0 FC and 0 CYA. My “goals” are FC 8 and CYA 50. I use the higher end of FC for the very first time I add liquid bleach( 12.5%). I use Pool Math to figure out the amounts of CYA and bleach to add. The CYA is in the dry form. Today I added the bleach and let that circulate for awhile. I then filled a sock with CYA and suspended it in front of the return. Does that sound like the right order of chemicals for the beginning of the pool season for us? After all these years I started overthinking the process this time and questioning what I do. I can’t remember having start up issues in the past. (Having a “senior”moment?)Maybe I could have waited to add the CYA? I wanted to get the bleach going in because of the debris, such as leaves and maple seeds that are blowing into the pool in the two days it took to fill it. The CYA is emptying pretty fast out of the sock but I read it takes a day or two to dissolve. So I am thinking I will wait to test CYA levels for two days to let the CYA totally dissolve and circulate. Does my thinking make sense? Should I keep the pump going overnight during this initial addition of chemicals?
So tomorrow I will test for FC and the day after, I will test for CYA and FC. I’m hoping my numbers will stay near my goals. I will adjust as necessary.And then would it be too soon to vacuum the debris off the bottom? That won’t mess with my numbers too much? Then I will need to deal with the pH and TA part of my numbers. My pH is 7 now but from experience, I know it’s going to rise.
Maybe it’s the pressure of knowing we’re having a pool party in a month,that’s causing me to question what I do. I want the pool looking good! I have to say that using the Trouble Free Pool methods, our pool has been clear and clean every season. I’ve learned a lot from the forums. Deb

U got it ! The cya should dissolve within in a couple hours if u squeeze the sock. Don’t try to test it for 24hrs.
Chlorinate to the target for the cya u added immediately assuming it’s there (cuz it will be in short order) FC/CYA Levels.
U can vacuum any time u want. Keep the pump running at least until the cya is dissolved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.