Have algae, also have poor levels. Here we go:

I think you should go for it now. Your numbers are good to go. Bring the FC up to slam level and keep at it. Nothing else for you to do at this point. Don't forget to run your pump 24/7 throughout the slam process. The more you keep the FC at slam level the faster you'll move to the finish line. Don't forget to monitor the filter pressure gauge and backwash with a 25% rise from clean pressure reading.

Last edited:
I think you should go for it now. Your numbers are good to go. Bring the FC up to slam level and keep at it. Nothing else for you to do at this point. Don't forget to run your pump 24/7 throughout the slam process. The more you keep the FC at slam level the faster you'll move to the finish line. Don't forget to monitor the filter pressure gauge and backwash with a 25% rise from clean pressure reading.
Agreed.

Had the robot running all morning and cleaned skimmers. Just brought it up to SLAM level before I headed back to work. Will check the levels, filter, and backwash after work.

Thanks!

O.K. So good progress.

After picking up muriatic acid and adding stabilizer, here are the new readings:

FC 4
CC 0
CYA 20-30
pH 7.2
TA 100

Things are moving where they need to be. But need to get CYA up a bit more and still have algae. I think Im closer to starting my SLAM.

Scratching my head. Took new readings tonight and pH/TA is back up yet FC and CC are where they should be.

We got a couple inches of rain this afternoon/today. Could that aeration affect the pH that much?

10pm Readings: First reading since starting SLAM
FC 12
CC 0
pH 7.5 (up from 7.2 this afternoon)
TA 150! (up from 100 this afternoon)
CYA 20-30

Given the rain, should I do anything to address the upswing in pH/TA?

I've got a light day at the office tomorrow so I'm gonna check first thing in the mornings and scrub pretty good as well.

Cheers

pH test is invalid when FC is above 10 ppm.

TA can only change that much if you added sodium bicarbonate or sodium carbonate. Check your testing.

pH test is invalid when FC is above 10 ppm.

TA can only change that much if you added sodium bicarbonate or sodium carbonate. Check your testing.

Ah, right! OK that makes sense re pH.

Since yesterday, haven't added anything except stabilizer, muriatic acid and 12% liquid bleach. Probably my testing although I thought it was straight forward. Tomorrow will tell.

Thanks!

The TA instructions are very specific about how to do it. It's a regent that can have static and the size of the droplet can be off if you don't give the nozzle a wipe with a damp cloth between droplets. Important to take your time on that one. Also as with all of them the dropper has to be completely inverted so the droplets are consistent all the time every test.

The TA instructions are very specific about how to do it. It's a regent that can have static and the size of the droplet can be off if you don't give the nozzle a wipe with a damp cloth between droplets. Important to take your time on that one. Also as with all of them the dropper has to be completely inverted so the droplets are consistent all the time every test.
Yep, I made sure to test it twice as accurately as possible and it was lower. Thanks.

10am readings:

FC 12
CC .5
TA 120
CYA 20-30
pH NA

No drop in FC since last night 12 hours ago.

Water looks great, no presence of algae. Backwashed, scrubbed again, cleared all baskets/skimmers and have the robot running. Continuing to SLAM. Fingers crossed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update:

Pool looks better than it has all Summer. Crystal clear.
FC slowly dropping from SLAM levels. No chlorine lost overnight, and most importantly no more algae.

A couple of other things going on, but the water is perfect.

Thanks for your help all.

John

Reactions: Teald024
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.