Has my pump failed??

Gregadaka

Jan 25, 2019
Florida
I haven't been active on the forum since the pandemic. Yes- guilty as charged. The advice here has been so good, that I have managed without the need to seek any I suppose. Now I have a problem. I have a Zodiak MX6 pool vacuum. I attach it to the skimmer suction and it's been really reliable for the last nearly 3 years. In the last year though, I noticed that it sometimes stops working. I have to switch the flow at the pump to draw 100% from the bottom for a while. It then "clears" and the skimmer works again. A couple of months ago, the problem was unfixable, so I called a pool company whom I trust. The chap fiddled with the valves, let out some air and got it going again. He noted that there must be a lot of leaves in the return pipe as well as air in the system. He also noted that the motor must have overheated from running dry for more than 6 hours on more than one occasion. He said that was why the motor was now leaking around the outflow pipe ( see picture). He charged me nothing but advised that I get a new pump ASAP. Yesterday I found that my Zodiac was hardly moving. I thought it may need new bearings and/ or tracks. Then I saw that the suction in my skimmer inflow was almost nothing. Also, the flow from my return nozzle in the pool was bearly returning anything. The pump motor still sounds strong and the water is surging in the window, but the pressure at the filter is nearly zero (see picture). Is the pump on its last legs? Do I need to start searching for a new pump + how to install one - here on the forum?
As always, any advice is welcome.
Cheers!
Greg.

IMG_20220726_192945.jpgIMG_20220726_193038.jpg

Points to an intake leak or clogged impeller, you can feel around the impeller with tweezers while the pump is off. If the impeller is good, you will need to pinpoint air intake leak.
Thank you so much Poolbreh!
I turned off the power and then cleaned the impeller using the "wire hanger technique"..
I was a bit disappointed, because only a few tiny palm nuts were there (see picture). However, when I turned the pump on again, the pressure was back to normal. Fantastic result!
Once again thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_20220727_192207.jpg
    IMG_20220727_192207.jpg
    764 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220727_192226.jpg
    IMG_20220727_192226.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Poolbreh
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.