Hartford County, CT - IG Vinyl Aug 2020 Construction

Tris

Gold Supporter
May 25, 2020
Hartford, CT
Contract signed, construction dates penciled in, let the journey begin. Planned usage is recreational with immediate family with 2 kids under 10, and local extended family with another 3 kids under 10.

General Specifications / Current Equipment List:
IG Vinyl 27 mil
Free form Mountain Pond 22 x 36 x 8
Stairs on shallow end, bench on middle bump out
Capacity ~21,700 G

Sta-Rite System 3 D.E. Filter (S7D75?)
Hayward TriStar VS 900 Pump
Hayward XL 112 Heat Pump
1 Skimmer
4 Returns
2 Main Drains
Dolphin T45

3 Hayward LED Color
2 Deck Jets

Decking - Plans in progress
Cantilevered Coping
Stamped concrete 3' perimeter

Off budget this year:
Hayward AquaRite 900 SWG
Safety Winter Cover

What are we missing, what should we reconsider? We have a few weeks of fiddling and making adjustments for sure.

That yard screams it wants a pool if I've ever seen one. Think/ask about keeping your dirt, Haul away is usually standard but you will have a small mountains worth and you could do each other a favor by levelling out a larger area.

Your PB had the same art teacher as me. My drawings to this day belong on a fridge.

The equipment gurus will be around at some point, but i wanted to point out that more skimmers is preferred. Usually with your shape pool there will be 3 along the 36ft side (top of drawing) My rectangle gets away fine with 2 on the deep end skinny side, your water will have to navigate around those curves and won't like only having one exit.

The general consensus is main drains are unnecessary with a robot. Less holes in the liner is better of course, but i like mine. I can often sweep most of my floor crud right into them in just a few minutes. When i opened to a green swamp and needed the pool ready in 4 days, i was able to drain ~60% of my water in under 4 hours. I probably could have done it much faster but i was managing the backyard flood with slower pump speeds. My regular submersible pump would have taken days, or i would have had to go find a big pump to rent.

I went with the SWG from the get-go. I would trade almost anything for it, even fingers because i only need one to push the button. It took 4 days for the water to warm up enough for the swg this year (after fixing the swamp) and i used bleach for the first time. I was sick of it in those four days.

Thanks Newdude!

Appreciate the heads up on the skimmers, will certainly look at getting at more added.

The main drain concept, while perhaps unnecessary is standard from the PB, won't save anything by opting out. Like the idea of having it.

Regarding SWG -- We are warming up to the idea of a SWG, the cost from the PB on a AquaRite is over $3,000 installed. Not sure the expert line is and "installed" worth the markup from what I've seen online.

We have a bit of home automation already [Nest, Hue Bulbs, Smartthings], should I leverage the Z-Wave system in place, or upgrade and add OmniLogic or something similar? I am happily DIY for electronics and tech, and the options seem to be excessively priced (OmniLogic $3,700).

The question we're into is more landscaping / patio or more pool tech at install. What is the more practical thing to add next season? We are probably only going to see 4-6 weeks (MAX) swim time this year based on construction schedules.

The question we're into is more landscaping / patio or more pool tech at install
Pool tech is an easy add, and much cheaper after the fact. Plus it won’t destroy your yard a second time once you’ve *finally* put it back together. Hold onto your hat, pool installs make a mess.

You can have the PB plumb and wire everything you’ll need for later. (Extra PVC length for the SWG and circuits at the sun panel for automation and SWG..... might as well have them wire you up to expand for a heater one day just in case). It will cost peanuts to set yourself up now while you already have crews onsite.

Added bonus to waiting is that you can have the rabid tech fanatics here customize you the perfect setup at a great price. Give them a budget and what it needs to do and sit back while they fight it out and agree on something.

the patio you want to be about 250 sq foot more than you can afford. Every last patio built ever would have been better if it was 250 sq ft bigger. And then that patio fits everybody until the neighbor comes over to hang out too and *slaps head* you need another 250 square foot.

Super helpful so far!! Thank you! We are planning a heat pump already which I think would be more beneficial than the SWG this year.

Good to know general sense on waiting for tech the rest of automation and tech. Looking forward to the tech review and recommendations that follow.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Construction has officially begun!

Day 1 - The Big Dig.

We ended up having to move the pool to avoid setback sna d septic, 25 feed of f the leeching field put the other location into the base, oops. Had to go smaller, and *surprise* additional construction costs with the need to replace the deck, and significantly more patio.

We're off to the races now, next is walls and plumbing. Thanks to everyone who assisted thus far!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.