Hard to believe but apparently I need to ask how to correctly use a skimmer sock

Can someone please explain how they have successfully used a skimmer sock? My experience so far has not been great, there have been many cases of air bubbles coming back into the skimmer and upturning the sock & contents.
  1. Can they be used during vacuuming, specifically with an automated vac? I tried and it worked great on debris but once I removed the hose from the vacuum plate an air bubble upturned the sock.
  2. In the morning on regular filter, I noticed that the sock was upturned in the basket. Could this have occurred overnight when my variable speed pump changed RPMs? Would this have caused air to the skimmer?
  3. Any time the pump is turned off, air goes back to the skimmer and upturns the sock. Is this normal?

I thought I knew how a pump worked, clearly not. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks... Jake

Can someone please explain how they have successfully used a skimmer sock? My experience so far has not been great, there have been many cases of air bubbles coming back into the skimmer and upturning the sock & contents.

1.Can they be used during vacuuming, specifically with an automated vac? I tried and it worked great on debris but once I removed the hose from the vacuum plate an air bubble upturned the sock.

I place my socks on the outside of the skimmer and they are nice and tight (snug that is). From time to time, the basket would lift up. This year, I place a secondary sock (hair net) and pull over. Now the baskets stay in place. This also helps keep the tab or handle in the basket so you can lift out of skimmer in pool.They are fine for vacuuming. I have 3 sets of skimmer baskets. This way, each week I swap out and clean them all when I have time.

2.In the morning on regular filter, I noticed that the sock was upturned in the basket. Could this have occurred overnight when my variable speed pump changed RPMs? Would this have caused air to the skimmer?

If you place the socks on the inside, once you shut off the filter, maybe they will come back up. I know placing socks on the inside caused problems so I switched to outside.

3.Any time the pump is turned off, air goes back to the skimmer and upturns the sock. Is this normal?

Probably. If you do not have air coming out of return jets or in pump basket, I would not worry to much about this. The socks are designed to trap material so it never gets to the filter. My pressure barely goes up during the season and this could be due to the filter socks.

I thought I knew how a pump worked, clearly not. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks... Jake

We are all here to learn and are constantly learning.

I would not recommend putting the socks on the outside of the basket. There would be a chance of the sock and debris getting sucked into the skimmer line and clogging it.

I put mine in the basket and also have a rock (bigger than the suction hole ;) ) inside the basket that keeps the basket or sock from floating up.

Never put one on the outside of the basket. It may stay there fine when it's clean, but once it starts collecting debris the flow becomes more and more restricted until, if not removed in time, it and all the debis will be pulled into the return line. No one needs a clogged return line.

I recently bought the Skim Around All in One skimmer baskets and they work much better than my old skimmer baskets. I haven't found an alternative to their skimmer socks just yet. My old ones won't work with the new baskets and circulation is better too with these new baskets.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I put the skimmer sock inside the basket because I don't like dirty skimmer baskets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know this is an old thread, but my skimmer basket is self-contained. If I chose to place a rock in the basket, no matter its size, it could not possibly be suctioned into the plumbing. What am I missing here?
BTW, I fit my skimmer sock not to the basket, but to the floating sleeve. I realize that, if overloaded, the sock may give way, freeing any captured debris to be sucked into the skimmer basket, possibly into my filter basket, possibly into my DE filter. This would be no more catastrophic than if I had operated my filtration system without a sock. I am still missing an understanding as to how a sock could cause the skimmer basket (and much less the pre-filter basket) to crack.
I am not challenging those who have reported this malady, just looking for information so that I might avoid a similar fate.
Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.