Hard sided pool vs soft...

ta2dwonderwoman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
fall river ks
We have had our intex for 4 seasons now and it has done fantastic , but as we close this season out I'm noticing that we're losing quite a bit of water and I'm considering getting a new pool for next year because I can't find where a leak is happening. I can pinpoint approximately what section of the pool might be leaking but I fear that it is along the bottom seam where the wall meets the floor. I was hoping to get some opinions on the best brands that are compatible with salt water systems etc.. looking for round 22-24 ft. And I'm assuming it would be cheapest to buy it over the Winter so I was hoping to get some ideas where to start, things to avoid, etc... Thanks in advance

Windy, With as much as you use and love your pool I would think about going all of the way and getting a hard walled pool. When you look at them look for the ones with resin tracks, caps, uprights, etc. Do the math and see if you will come out ahead buying a hard walled pool once, knowing the liner might need replaced every 7 or so yrs (might last longer with your good care) or buying a new intex type pool every 4 or so years.

Kim:kim:

If you frame is in good shape, no rust or kinks, then you could try putting a regular pool liner inside your Intex pool. Here is a thread detailing the life of an Intex pool with a standard AGP liner.

If the frame has issues I would look for a good deal on a hard sided pool online. All resin would be the best choice to avoid rust. My all steel AGP did not use an SWG but I still had major rust issues. If you do go with a steel wall pool instead of resin, I would give the inside wall an additional coat of rust inhibitor during the install process.

Windy, With as much as you use and love your pool I would think about going all of the way and getting a hard walled pool. When you look at them look for the ones with resin tracks, caps, uprights, etc. Do the math and see if you will come out ahead buying a hard walled pool once, knowing the liner might need replaced every 7 or so yrs (might last longer with your good care) or buying a new intex type pool every 4 or so years.

How long is an AG pool liner expected to last? My pool was installed in 2012. Besides some staining (infrequent vacuuming) and bleached water line, it seems to be going strong. Am I on borrowed time?

Have you used the TFP way the whole time? If so there is no telling how long it will last! Mine was put in 2012 also and it is still going strong as well!

The main "bad guy" for liners is pH/TA! Those are liner killers!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.